egg pulusu recipe – an easy egg stew made without tomatoes. Tastes tangy, spicy and hot and pairs well with rice
Indian Egg recipes are a real stand by when you do not have much time and patience to cook an elaborate meal. Eggs can be used to prepare a variety of dishes like egg bhurji, hot and spicy egg curry, egg masala, egg biryani, egg fried rice, and egg fried noodles and even an Egg Pulusu.
egg pulusu can even be paired up with some vegetables like potato or drumsticks. Today’s pulusu can be prepared just as it is only with egg or can be paired with drumsticks or potatoes. They are cooked in a spicy and tangy stew which is called as andhra egg pulusu. I have not used any sweetener, if you wish you can.
Pulusu can be prepared even with vegetables like okra, bottle gourd, potatoes, drumsticks etc. Pulusu do not need any garam masala or ginger garlic paste, while some folks add crushed garlic while the pulusu is boiling.
I have seen some pulusu recipes call for rice flour for pulusu for thickening. I do not like a pulusu that way, so we just add coriander, cumin powder sometimes.To get a bright color pulusu like you see in the picture, do not use coriander or cumin powder.
egg pulusu recipe below
- 5 hard boiled eggs
- 1 cup of chopped onions
- 2 green chilies
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- ⅛ tsp. mustard
- Pinch of fenugreek seeds (methi)
- Fistful of coriander leaves chopped
- Generous Pinch of turmeric
- Oil as needed
- jaggery or sugar as needed (optional)
- Salt to taste
- ½ to ¾ tsp. red chili powder
- Small lemon sized ball of tamarind
- ½ to ¾ tsp. Coriander powder + ⅛ tsp. cumin powder (optional)
- Soak tamarind in hot water and filter the pulp to remove impurities
- Heat a deep pan with oil
- Add mustard,methi and cumin, when they splutter add curry leaves and sauté
- Add onions and green chili, sprinkle salt and fry till they turn pink
- Add eggs, coriander and cumin powder,red chili powder, turmeric, salt. Fry for 2 mins on medium. Pour the tamarind pulp. Mix well. Cover and cook on low heat for 3 to 4 mins. If you wish you can add a tbsp. jaggery or sugar now.
- Pour enough water to partially cover the eggs .
- Mix and simmer for atleast 5 to 8 mins. Adjust the salt and tamarind.
- Off the heat and add coriander leaves.
If you are looking for more egg recipes, you could check
egg tomato curry
egg biryani in 30 minutes
boiled egg noodles