Falooda recipe – Faluda is a Ice cream dessert that is popular in India and neighboring countries. This delicious dessert is made by layering sabja seeds, vermicelli, rose syrup, then topped with chilled milk and ice cream. Lastly garnished with chopped pistachios. There are various types of falooda, I am sharing the basic one with ice cream.
Sabja seeds also known as Tukmaria or sweet basil seeds are said to be cooling to the body. Using these seeds during summer keeps the body cool. To make falooda, usually thin sev made of corn flour are used, however they can be replaced with thin sev made of wheat flour.
To make the falooda rich and creamy, milk is boiled until it reduces and thickens slightly. Then chilled and used. However you can get the same taste by using 1 extra scoop of ice cream in each serving glass.
The pictures and the video shared in this post were shot at two different times so there is a variation in the color of the rose syrup and the jelly used. In the video I have used organic rose syrup and homemade jelly which I made using agar agar & rose syrup.
I have used this homemade vanilla ice cream, you can also use store bought. But make sure you use an eggless ice cream, otherwise the egg smell dominates the falooda.
video of falooda recipe with ice cream
Falooda recipe card
- 400 ml full fat chilled milk
- 2 to 3 tbsps organic sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp sabja seeds / tukumaria seeds/ sweet basil seeds
- 2 to 4 tbsps. Rose jelly (optional)
- 2 tbsp. rose syrup (prefer organic)
- ½ cup falooda sev (substitute with any thin vermicelli)
- 4 scoops of vanilla ice cream
- Chill the milk and add sugar to it. Stir well until dissolved. You can also boil the milk until it reduces and thickens a bit.
- Wash falooda seeds and drain them to a coffee filter. Soak them in a bowl of water for 2 hours. Drain them to a sieve if there is excess water.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a pot. Add sev and cook until just done. Follow the instructions on the pack. Drain excess water and set aside.
- You will need 2 large serving glasses. Add jelly to the glass first if using. Then sabja seeds. Add sev and then rose syrup.
- Pour milk, then scoop off the ice cream and add it to the glass. Sprinkle some pistachios.
- Serve falooda immediately.
How to make falooda or faluda at home
1. Clean falooda seeds and wash them. I usually add them to a large bowl of water and drain them to a coffee filter. Then add more water and soak.
2. Soak them for about 2 to 4 hours. They will swell up and absorb water. If there is any excess water, drain them to a sieve.
3. Bring water to a boil in a pot or pan. Add sev and cook until they are done. Follow the instructions on the pack for cooking time as it varies depending on the brand used. Drain these and set aside.
4. Add sugar to chilled milk.
5. Add sugar and stir it until dissolved. You can also boil the milk until it thickens a bit. Then chill it. I have used an extra scoop of ice cream just to give the same taste.
6. Using jelly is optional. I made it using agar agar and organic rose syrup.
7. Add sabja seeds.
8. Add sev.
9. Pour rose syrup.
10. Pour chilled milk.
11. Scoop off the ice cream and top it.
Garnish falooda with chopped pistachios.