Easy chocolate cake recipe – simple, easy, featherlight, moist and the best chocolate cake that even a beginner can make. Holiday time for the kids, meaning a fun time for me too. So I am back with a cake recipe today.
This chocolate cake recipe has been a keeper ever since I tried it the first time. It has a wonderfully light texture that can stun anyone. Light, fairly moist and delicious with all the goodness of chocolate is what makes this cake a special one and can be used as a base for any chocolate cakes.
When I made the Hershey’s chocolate cake, my little boys expected a light chocolate cake but it turned out to be a deep and dense cake. Indeed that recipe is worth to treasure for deep chocolate lovers, nothing can beat the texture and intense flavor of that dark chocolate cake.
However I wanted to try a light chocolate cake, tried few and was not very satisfied. Last week, I stumbled upon this recipe from food network which really deserve to be called a featherlight chocolate cake.
So far I have baked this cake many times, if you intend to bake this, take a look at the notes mentioned at the end of this post. This can also be microwaved, I have tried it using standard cups. Filled half of the cups and microwaved for just a minute on high.
How to make simple chocolate cake recipe
1. Firstly, switch on the oven to 170 C and allow to preheat for at least 15 mins.
2. Grease the pan first and then flour it lightly with cocoa.
3. Seive together flour, salt, cocoa and baking soda. keep this aside.
4. Cream together sugar and butter till light and fluffy. i used organic sugar, hence looks pale.
5. Add vanilla and mix in the eggs, one at a time. i scraped vanilla from pod, i had no vanilla extract
6.Add 1/3 flour and 1/3 of ice water. Repeat mixing till all the flour and ice water is used up
7. Pour the batter to the greased pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Skewer inserted in the center of the pan must come out clean or slightly crumbly.
8. Allow it to cool completely in the pan. Be careful while you invert it. Remember, let the cake cool completely in the pan.
I made a chocolate butter cream frosting, which i will share shortly. you can even sift confectioners sugar on top.
Simple easy chocolate cake recipe below
- 2 ¼ cups sifted cake flour (pls refer the notes below)
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ¼ tsps. Baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter or 12 tablespoons (I used 180 grams)
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 2 eggs (I used 3 small eggs) (refer the notes below)
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract (I used scraped vanilla from pod)
- 1 ¼ cups ice water
- Preheat the oven to 170 C for at least 15 mins.
- Grease and flour the pan with cocoa
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. set this aside
- Cream together butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and mix in the eggs, one at a time
- Add ⅓ flour and ⅓ of ice cold water. Repeat mixing till all the flour and ice water is finished
- Transfer the batter to the greased pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Skewer inserted in the center of the pan must come out clean
- Let the chocolate cake cool completely in the pan, preferably overnight. Take care while you invert it else it can break.
2. I converted the 2 ¼ cups sifted cake flour to grams which comes up to 225 grams (source: joy of baking, 1 cup sifted cake flour is 100 grams)
3. The baked cake pic above was taken the next morning. The cake looks dry right out of oven. but the next day it looks moist, don't know the science behind this.