Ghee rice recipe with video to serve with kurma, chicken curry or egg curry. Learn how to make ghee rice recipe with step by step photos. It is quite a popular but simple South India food and is often served in restaurants with a kurma curry or chicken curry or any egg or non-veg gravy. This has to be served hot otherwise the taste & texture of the rice isn’t good once it is cooled. You can also check this kerala ghee rice or nei choru recipe which is made in the Malabar region of kerala.
In this post, I am sharing 2 ghee rice recipes and for variation you can also check this ghee fried rice in a pan and also this Fish ghee rice post.
In the first method, the rice is cooked in ghee with spices, second method calls for seasoning the spices in ghee and adding the steamed rice like the fried rice.
I often follow the second recipe for kids meal, ideally for dinner. A simple veggie salad is always good with that and makes the meal complete.
Video of ghee rice recipe
Ghee rice recipe below
- 1.5 cups rice
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 1 strand mace
- 4 green cardamoms
- 6 cloves
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 green chilies slit
- 3 tbsp. ghee
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- Salt as needed
- Soak rice for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat a pressure cooker or a pan with ghee. Fry cashews till lightly golden, add raisins and stir up. Set them aside in a plate.
- To the same pan, add onions and fry till golden to make the barista. You can skip this step. These onions are used for garnishing and they add flavour to the rice.
- Add little more ghee and add in bay leaf, 1 star anise, 4 to 6 cloves, small cinnamon stick and a strand of mace. Fry for a min. Add 2 sliced green chilis and fry for a min.
- Add rice and fry on a medium flame for about 3 to 4 minutes, stir to prevent burning.
- Pour water and salt. Cook the rice till fully done. If making in a pressure cooker allow the cooker to whistle once on a medium flame if using basmati rice. If using normal rice, cook on a medium flame for 1 whistle.
- Garnish with raisins, cashews, fried onions and coriander leaves
How to make ghee rice recipe
1. Wash and soak rice for 20 minutes.
2. Add ghee to a cooker or a pot. Add cashews and fry till lightly golden, add raisins, when they plump up, keep them aside, we need them for garnishing.
3. Add onions to the same pan, fry till golden, we need them for garnishing as well they add flavor to the rice.
4. To the same pan, add little more ghee.Add bay leaf, 1 star anise, 4 to 6 cloves, small cinnamon stick and a strand of mace. Fry for a min. Add 2 sliced green chilis and fry for a min.
5. Add drained rice and fry for about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring evenly and frying.
6. Add water and salt. On a medium heat cook the rice till done.
If making ghee rice in a pressure cooker,
Cook for 1 whistle on a high flame if using basmati rice. OR Cook for 1 whistle on a medium flame if using normal rice.
Cook until all the water has evaporated. The rice has to be still soggy, then cover the pressure cooker lid and cook for 5 to 7 mins on a low heat. Open the lid and fluff up.
Garnish with raisins, cashews, fried onions and coriander leaves.
This ghee rice recipe is more like a fried rice, needs only pepper powder and no other spice is used. This makes a good lunch box dish for kids but without egg, i wonder if eggs stay good in kids lunch box.This can be made without egg or you can even use some of your favorite veggies like carrot, peas, capsicum and beans. I have grown up eating this more often during winters. Pepper and curry leaves fried in ghee emits a great aroma & taste.
Most times I end up making this for my lunch, i don’t mind having it without any raita or gravy and just love to have it with grated carrot, sliced onions or cucumbers.
Ingredients to make this rice
½ cup basmathi rice
1 boiled egg (pierce it with a fork randomly) (optional)
fistful of cashews and raisins
2 tbsp ghee
10 pepper corns (coarsely crushed)
1 sprig curry leaves
1 green chili slit
1 to 2 garlic chopped
Salt to taste
1. Cook rice and cool it completely.
2. Heat a pan with ghee, fry cashews and raisins, set these aside to a plate
3. Add garlic, curry leaves, green chili and egg. fry till the leaves turn crisp
4. Add coarsely crushed pepper powder and salt, saute
5. Add rice to the pan and mix well. fry for 2 minutes on high
6. Garnish with cashews and raisins just before serving.