gongura pachadi recipe (gongura chutney)
Red sorrel leaves are called as Gongura or puntikura in telugu, pulicha keerai in tamil, punde pale in kannada and ambaadi in Marati, pitwaa in Hindi. These leaves taste sour can help in alleviating symptoms of cold, cough and fever too. It also increases appetite since it is high in vitamin C. These leaves hold a special place in the Andhra cuisine especially in and around Guntur region. Apart from the pickle, other popular dishes are Gongura Mamsam, Gongura Royalu, Gongura chicken curry and Gongura chicken dry fry which are prepared with these red sorrel leaves.
Today iam sharing a Gongura Pachadi or gongura chutney, different from the Gongura Nilva Pachadi or gongura pickle.
This chutney is prepared in many ways, but this is how my mom prepares. Many like to temper the chutney with shrimps / prawns (crispy deep fried or tawa fried). Since my mom is a vegetarian she tempers it with Vadiyalu and majjiga mirapakayalu. You can even use white sesame seeds. If you haven’t tried with this kind of a tempering, do try.
how to make gongura pachadi or Andhra gongura chutney
- 2 cups of red sorrel leaves tightly packed
- 1 large onion (cut to quarters)
- 3 to 4 hot Green Chilies
- Salt to taste
- Oil as needed
- Few garlic cloves crushed
- Mustard and cumin (Generous pinch of each)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 red chili
- 4 to 8 Majjiga Mirapakayalu (curd chilies)
- Vadiyalu as needed (can use minapa (urad dal) or pesara (moong dal) vadiyalu)
- Pick the leaves from the stalks and Wash them 3 to 4 times. Drain them aside for at least 10 mins.
- In a large bowl add leaves, onions, green chilies and 45 ml of water. Boil all these till the leaves are fully cooked.
- After the leaves are cooked, If there is more water left, discard it or evaporate it by cooking for longer. You can even steam cook them like we do for idly.
- Once cool, grind all the cooked ingredients with salt.
- Heat oil in a pan. Deep Fry majjiga mirchi set aside. Deep fry vadiyalu set aside. Remove excess oil and keep only a tsp of oil in the pan, add red chilies, mustard, cumin and garlic. Once they splutter. Off the heat. Mix chutney with all the fried and tempered ingredients.
- Serve with hot rice and a spoon of ghee.
for more pachadi or chutney recipes, check
green tomato chutney
hot vegetable chutney