green moong dal recipe or green gram curry is healthy, nutritious and makes a meal wholesome since they are fiber rich and protein rich. It is fairly easy to make and can be accompanied with rice or phulka or roti.
After making pesarattu, iam usually left with some green gram which i refrigerate and use up the next day to make this curry. Sometimes i also sprout green gram and make a sprouted methi seeds curry.
green gram curry can be made using sprouted green gram too, I have not used coconut or coconut milk, but one of them can be used and i have included the tips in the notes.
how to make green moong dal curry recipe with step by step pictures
1. Soak green gram for about 4 to 6 hours. Make sure they are not soaked longer otherwise the skin comes out while cooking. Mine were over soaked and were almost about to sprout.
2. Heat a pot with oil, add cumin and let it splutter, add grated ginger or ginger paste. let it fry till you smell the aroma. Add curry leaves and fry till crisp. Sprinkle hing.
3. Add onions and green chilies and fry until transparent.
4. Add chopped tomatoes, salt and turmeric. Fry or cook until it turns mushy. If you want to add coconut you can add and fry for 2 to 3 minutes. At this stage if you wish to have a smooth gravy you can cool this mixture and then grind it with water. I did not, i prefer not to grind for my simple everyday dishes unless it is something special.
5. Add green gram, red chili powder, coriander powder and stir well.If you have ground the mixture, add back to the pot , then the green gram and red chili powder.
6. Fry for about 3 minutes without burning.
7. Add water just enough to make a gravy. If you wish to use coconut milk, refer notes in the recipe below.
8. Cook till the green gram turns soft but al dente . Do not over cook to retain nutrients. Garnish with coriander leaves.
green gram curry recipe below
- 1 ½ cups green gram
- ½ cup or 1 large chopped onions
- ½ cup or 1 large chopped tomatoes
- 1 green chili chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp. grated ginger or paste
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. mustard seeds (optional)
- ¼ to ½ tsp. red chili powder
- Salt as needed
- Generous pinch of Turmeric
- ¾ tsp. coriander powder (or garam masala powder)
- Few coriander leaves for garnish
- ½ to ¾ cup water
- 2 tsp. Coconut or any oil
- Wash and soak green gram for at least 4 to 6 hours. Over soaking will tend to separate the skin on its own while cooking. so just 4 to 6 hours soaking is fine.
- Heat a pot with oil, add cumin, when it begins to splutter, add ginger and curry leaves. Fry till the ginger smells good.
- Add onions, green chilli, sprinkle salt and fry till transparent.
- Add tomato, salt and turmeric. Fry till the tomatoes blend well with onions and turn mushy.
- Add green gram, red chili powder, coriander powder. Mix and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add water just enough to cook them. Cook till the green gram is tender. Since they are soaked well, they get cooked faster retaining nutrients to some extent.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
for more dal recipes, check
moong dal recipe
spinach and moong dal