dal pumpkin goes well to serve as a side to chapathi, rice, puri, and dosa as well. It is packed with nutrition and is absolutely healthy. If you are new to using pumpkin, then I suggest trying this easy recipe. Pumpkin is often used to make curry, kootu, halwa , kheer and sambar.
We add vegetables to dal to add nutrition. In Andhra cuisine we make dal recipes with most vegetables like dal tomato, dal mango, dal ridge gourd and dal lauki.
This dal pumpkin recipe is one such addition to the endless list. Dal and pumpkin are pressure cooked and then seasoned that’s it. It’s very simple.
We usually add dried mango pieces (endu mamidi mukalu) to add tang to the dal. Amchur can be used and you can very much add more or less ingredients to suit your taste.
You can use toor dal, moong dal or masoor dal to make this, any lentil just goes goes good to make dal pumpkin.
- 1 cup of pumpkin chopped
- ½ cup of dal
- 2 green chilies
- Few pepper corn
- 1 tsp amchur powder (adjust as per your taste)
- Salt to taste
- pinch of hing
- Ghee or oil as needed
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Pinch of mustard seeds
- Pinch of cumin
- 1 broken red chili
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- Pressure cook dal, pumpkin, green chilies, pepper corn, salt with 1 ½ glasses of water for 2 to 3 whistles.
- Heat a pan with ghee for tempering, add cumin, mustard, red chili, once they begin to splutter, add curry leaves and hing. Mash the dal to smooth & pour the dal and water if needed to adjust the consistency.
- Add amchur powder, let the dal begin to bubble up. Off the heat.
- Serve dal pumpkin with rice or chapathi. You can refrigerate and use up within 48 hours.