gummadikaya pulusu – pumkpkin is called as gummadikaya in telugu . Pulusu is a simple sweet, sour stew of andhra. pulusu made using gummadikaya is gummadikaya pulusu. It is served with rice and makes a comfort meal during summers.
Pulusu can be made with most vegetables like potato, drumstick, pumpkin, ladyfinger, yam, bottle gourd and ridge gourd. No garlic, no garam masala is needed for pulusu. Some folks use rice flour, methi powder or coriander powder to make the pulusu slightly thick.
find complete recipe of gummadikaya pulusu below
- 1½ cup of cubed pumpkin pieces
- 1 green chili
- ½ cup of onions
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- pinch of mustard
- pinch of cumin / jeeera
- pinch of fenugreek seeds / menthulu
- tamarind juice as needed
- 1 tsp red chili powder(adjust as per your taste)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- grated jaggery as needed
- salt to taste
- coriander fistful chopped (optional)
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Wash and soak tamarind in warm water, squeeze and filter the thick juice.
- Heat oil in a deep pan, add cumin, mustard and methi, when they begin to splutter add curry leaves and green chili. sauté for a min.
- Add onions and sprinkle salt and fry till they turn slightly pink, needs no browning of onions
- Add the pumpkin pieces, fry on high for 2 mins.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric and fry for a min.
- Add jaggery and pour the tamarind juice, mix, cover and cook on a low flame for 3 to 4 mins. this enhances the taste of the pumpkin pieces.
- Add enough water to cover the pumpkin pieces , add coriander powder.
- Cover and cook till pumpkin is fully done. cooking on a very low flame makes the pulusu tasty.
- Off the heat and add coriander if using. Keep covered until served.
more pulusu recipes on the blog
kanda gadda pulusu