Atta halwa recipe for babies – when my younger son turned 10 months, I started giving him this twice in a week for his breakfast. Being four years old now, he still enjoys it. The halwa tastes amazing with a creamy texture, since I have used date palm sugar which has a rich caramel-like taste that smells just as good as it tastes. Unlike other sweeteners, palm sugar is unrefined and unbleached which allows it to retain all of its original nutrients. It has a low GI and is considered healthier than white and brown sugar.
To make this atta halwa for babies, you can even use jaggery or add some dates syrup. You can even add carrots.Do not use apples or sour tasting fruits if you intend to cook the cereal in milk. It can curdle the food and upset the stomach. Some babies could be allergic to wheat, cow’s milk or sugar. Please consult your pediatrician before you put your baby on these ingredients.
If you baby is older than 9 to 10 months then, you can also add pureed apple to this towards the end. But do not cook in milk.
For more Indian baby food recipes on this blog,
khichdi recipe for babies
carrot baby food
potato rice baby food
Find a complete baby food chart for 6 to 7 months
Indian baby food chart for above 8 months
Atta halwa recipe for babies
- organic whole wheat flour 3 tbsp
- 1 tbsp. organic palm sugar or jaggery (refer notes)
- Ghee or Butter ¼ to ½ tsp
- Water 180 ml or milk (refer notes) (adjust to bring it to consistency)
- Mix the flour with water and jaggery, remove lumps if any. You can filter this to remove coarse particles or debris from the jaggery.
- Boil the mixture on a low flame, keep stirring continuously to prevent lumps.
- When the mixture reaches a thick consistency, add ghee/butter.
- Cook it for a minute and switch off. Keep covered and allow to rest in the hot pot for 5 more minutes.
- Atta halwa is ready to serve when warm.
Sugar should be avoided in babies until one year old, so use your judgement to use or not to use. I have used palm sugar and jaggery for both my kids
can use cow’s milk and water, if your baby is 1 year old