hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe, Learn how to make chicken biryani in a dum style with step by step photos
Making a good chicken biryani is just very simple and this recipe is perfect for a home preparation. This is easier than any dum biryani since it needs no sauting of spices or meat. Just mix all the ingredients and cook on a slow dum process, trapping the steam to retain the aroma. To get an authentic flavor and taste, do use all the mentioned ingredients and if desired can substitute ghee for oil.
This is one of the best hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe i have made for years and it is very easy and even a beginner can try without any troubles. Chicken can be marinated the previous night and refrigerated to make the best flavorful biryani.
step by step photos on how to make hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe
1. Add all the marination ingredients to a bowl. Mix them well to make a paste.
2. Marinate the chicken with the prepared yogurt and masala paste prepared in step 1. Allow it to sit for overnight in the fridge or for at least 2 hours.
3. Add dry spices to a pot of boiling water along with few drops of oil. You can add the dry spices to a muslin cloth and make a knot if u don’t like to get a bite of the spices.Add soaked rice and cook till 3/4 cooked. The rice must be grainy.
4. Add the marinade to a heavy bottom pot. Sprinkle fried onions, chilies, coriander and mint leaves. Add oil and mix it.
5. Layer the rice over the chicken.
6. Add fried onions, mint and coriander leaves. Sprinkle biryani masala.
7. Layer the rice again.
8. Sprinkle fried onions, mint and coriander leaves and biryani masala. Pour the saffron milk.
9.Use a foil to cover the rim. You can also use a thick clean kitchen cloth. or make dough and stick to the rim of the pot.
10. Cover the pot with a lid. If using dough. make sure the lid sits on the dough.
11. Place the pot over a hot old tawa. Cook on a medium high for about 15 to 20 minutes.
12. Lower the flame to very low and cook for another 15 minutes. Switch off the stove and let it rest for sometime
13. Flavorful dum biryani is ready.
14. Fluff up the rice gently and serve. A mint raita or cucumber raita or onion raita or shorba/sherva or simla mirch ka salan go well with this.
For more biryani recipes, check
vegetable dum biryani
find complete hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe below
- 1 ½ cups aged basmathi rice (soaked for 20 to 30 mins, drain and set aside)
- ½ kg or 1 lb chicken with bones or boneless
- ¼ to ½ tsp. biryani masala powder for sprinkling in between layers
- Fried onions from 1 large onion (Learn to make Fried Onions for Hyderabadi Recipes )
- Fistful of finely chopped coriander leaves
- Fistful of finely chopped mint leaves
- 2 to 3 tbsp. Sunflower oil or ghee
- ¼ tsp saffron strands soaked in 3 tbsps. hot milk
- 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 3 green chilies slit (adjust to suit your taste)
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp. yogurt / curd
- 2 tbsps. Lemon juice (adjust)
- 1 ½ tsp Kashmiri / byadgi red chili powder
- ½ tsp biryani masala powder
- ¼ tsp green cardamom powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 small strands of mace
- 1 large or 2 small black cardamom
- 4 green cardamom
- 3” cinnamon stick
- 6 cloves
- 1 large or 2 small bay leaf
- ½ tsp pepper corn
- ½ tsp shahi jeera / caraway seeds
- Marinate the chicken with the ingredients mentioned under marination and set aside for at least 2 hrs and overnight is best.
- This step is optional. Tie up all the dry spices for rice in a muslin cloth.
- Wash rice till the water runs clear. Soak for 20 to 30 minutes. Heat 2 ½ cups water in a utensil to cook rice. Add 1 tsp oil, dry spices and salt, let the water boil rapidly for 5 mins, this way the aroma released is best. Add the soaked rice and cook till it is ¾ done. Remember this is very important. Do not make the rice mushy. Drain off if any excess water is left.
- While the rice cooks, transfer the marinated chicken to a heavy bottom casserole, handi or non-stick. Add fried onions, green chilies, ½ of the mint, coriander leaves and pour in the oil or melted ghee. Mix well and level the surface.
- Layer the cooked rice evenly, add fried onions, mint and coriander leaves over the chicken.
- Sprinkle ¼ tsp to ½ tsp. biryani masala powder.
- Repeat steps of layering rice, coriander mint leaves and then fried onions.
- Pour the saffron milk all over.
- Cover the rim of the casserole with foil to trap the dum or use a cloth. Rinse a thick kitchen cloth and squeeze off the excess water, it must be just moist and not with dripping water. Make a double layer. Spread this cloth over the rim and cover the lid over the casserole.
- Place this over a thick hot tawa, set the flame to medium high such that the flame reaches all over the diameter of the casserole. Cook this way for exactly 20 mins. After 20 mins, if you have a see thru lid you can see the vapour filled.
- Now reduce the flame to min (as low as in Indian stoves or burners, where the flame barely touches tawa). Cook this way for exactly 10 to 15 mins. You can see the vapour dripping on the moist cloth. Off the flame and leave it as it is for at least 20 to 30 mins. Garnish chicken biryani and serve.
Hope you liked the hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe