Hyderabadi egg biryani recipe – Today I have this egg dum biryani recipe for the egg and dum biryani lovers. If you are trying to keep yourself away from meat or want to include eggs in your diet, then you will certainly like this. I made this late in the evening and it was almost dark hence the pics are not so good.
This hyderabadi egg biryani makes a great addition to the menu for any parties or a weekend meal. Yes, its very easy and even a beginner can make this without difficulty. I did try to make a good flavorful egg dum biryani several times and was not very happy with the outcome but this one turned out good with the quantities mentioned in the recipe below. So i highly suggest to follow the recipe exactly as it is, any changes may not yield a good hyderabadi biryani.
I had to restrict oil to 2 tbsp to make this hyderabadi egg biryani recipe, since i made deep fried chicken lollipop as well for the meal. But i suggest using 3 tbsp. oil or accompany with a raita or shorba. I have used 5 eggs, you can use only 3 to 4 as well.
For more egg recipes, you can check out the entire collection of egg recipes here.
For more biryani recipes, you can check this complete collection of 25 biryani recipes.
How to make hyderabadi egg biryani recipe
1. Hard boil eggs, remove the shells. Pierce with fork randomly or make incisions on 3 eggs. Set them aside.
2. Wash and soak rice for about 20 to 25 minutes. Drain off water. Bring 5 cups of water to a boil, add few green cardamoms, half tsp. shahi jeera and rice to the boiling water. Cook till al dente. Fully cooked but grainy and firm. Under cooked rice doesn’t work well for this recipe, since eggs do not release any moisture like meat or veggies, rice doesn’t get cooked further during the dum process. Drain the rice to a colander. Set this aside.
3. You can skip this step if using ready made fried onions. Heat oil in a pan, add thinly sliced onions and fry until golden. Set these aside to a plate. Also set aside half of the oil to a small bowl. Switch off the stove as the pan will be very hot now.
4. Soak a pinch of saffron in 3 tbsp. hot milk. Also set aside kewra water.
5. Switch on the stove. Add dry spices to the pan and allow them to sizzle.
6. Add ginger garlic paste, green chili and fry until the raw smell goes off.
7. Add red chili powder and biryani masala. Give a quick stir. Do not use too much masala, it makes the biryani dry.
8. Add yogurt, salt and mint leaves. Stir and cook.
9. Add the eggs and 3/4 portion of the fried onions.
10. Stir and cook on a medium flame till the gravy thickens. The gravy must look thick and uniform of a flowing consistency. Switch off the stove and set the pan away from the burner otherwise the gravy tends to get cooked further and the quantity may reduce.
11. Layer the rice in the handi or pot.
12. Evenly layer the egg mixture over the rice. The quantity is less, but try to spread it well evenly.
13. Layer with rice again.
14. This step is optional. If you like spicy egg biryani with fried eggs, then i suggest this. Put back the same pan on the stove and heat it with the oil we had set aside earlier. Fry the eggs lightly. Add red chili powder, a pinch of salt and biryani masala or garam masala.
15. Flip the eggs. Switch off the stove. Do not over fry.
16. Pour the saffron milk over the rice, add the left over fried onions, few mint and coriander leaves. Transfer the eggs gently to the biryani, also pour the spiced oil from the pan. Pour the oil to the rice and not to the eggs.
17. Cover the pot. You can use a aluminum foil to seal the pot or a moist cloth too works well. Place a lid over it. I just went ahead using a tight and heavy lid. Heat a tawa or a pan, When it turns hot, place this dum pot over the hot tawa and set the flame to very low. Cook it this way for 10 minutes. Switch off and allow it to rest for another 10 minutes. If you do not own a tawa, you can use any heavy bottom pan or pot. Any stainless steel or cast iron pans too work well. I have used stainless pressure pan. Do not use nonstick tawa as the coating gets damaged.
Serve with raita or shorba. You can find the raita recipes here, veg shorba recipe here and hyderabadi mirchi ka salan.
Find hyderabadi egg biryani recipe card below
- 3 green cardamoms / Elaichi
- ¼ to ½ tsp shahi jeera
- 1 ½ cups long grain or basmati rice
- 4 to 5 hard boiled eggs
- 2 tbsp oil (suggested 3 tbsp.)
- ¾ cup thinly sliced onions layers separated (1 medium)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- ¼ to ½ tsp shahi jeera
- 1 black cardamom (optional)
- 4 green cardamom
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 4 to 6 cloves
- 1 strand mace
- 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chili slit
- 1 tsp biryani masala powder
- ¾ tsp red chili powder
- salt as needed
- ¾ cup plus 1 tbsp yogurt / curd
- handful of mint leaves / pudina and coriander leaves
- 3 tbsp. milk
- pinch of saffron
- 1 tsp kewra water (optional)
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- generous pinch of biryani masala
- very little salt
- Boil eggs, remove the shells and pierce 3 eggs randomly with fork. Cut 2 other eggs to halves.
- Wash and soak rice for about 20 to 25 minutes. Rinse well.
- Bring 4 to 5 cups of water to a boil and cook rice along with cardamoms and shahi jeera.
- When the rice is cooked al dente, drain it to a colander.
- Heat oil in a hot pan. Add sliced onions and fry until brown. Set these aside to a plate. Also set aside half of the oil.
- Add the rest of the dry spices and saute. When they begin to sizzle, add ginger garlic paste, chili and fry until the raw smell goes off.
- Add chili powder and garam masala. Saute just for few seconds.
- Add yogurt, salt, mint and coriander leaves.
- Now add 3 eggs, along with ¾ portion of the fried onions.
- Stir and cook until the mixture thickens. Switch off the stove, set the pan away from the stove.
- Add half of the rice to the pot, layer the eggs along with masala.
- Layer again with rice.
- Now put back the pan on the stove, add oil and fry the halved eggs lightly. Add red chili powder, garam masala and little salt. Flip them towards the yolk and just fry for a minute.
- Add this to the layered rice along with the oil. Sprinkle mint and coriander leaves and the rest of the fried onions. Also pour the saffron soaked milk.
- Cover the pot with a tight lid or a aluminum foil.
- Heat a tawa or cast iron pan, When the tawa turns hot, place the pot on it.
- Dum it for 10 minutes on a low flame. Switch off the stove and allow it to rest for another 10 minutes.
- Serve hyderabadi egg biryani with a onion raita.