vegetable dum biryani is one of the favorite among the vegetarians and we get to see a variety of vegetarian biriyanis served in restaurants. A hyderabadi vegetable dum biryani is a royal dish that is aromatic and delicious. Making a vegetable biryani can be as simple as a biriyani in a pressure cooker or one that is prepared with a fresh ground masala or can be a dum cooked biryani too.
vegetable dum biryani is quite popular across the world. This recipe is roughly adapted from vahchef’s video and is one of the best veg dum biryani that I can ever make.
To make vegetable dum biryani flavorful and delicious, we need a good masala powder. You can use a store bought powder or can make some from my biryani masala powder recipe (link in the recipe card below). Most folks have the fear of burning the biriyani at the bottom that can be prevented by using enough yogurt. This veg biryani can also be prepared in an oven, instructions included below.
You can also check this quick restaurant style veg dum biryani and this super quick veg biryani in presssure cooker.
To make a biryani that is aromatic, we need to use the best quality spices and basmathi rice. Veggies like carrots, peas, potato, cauliflower and beans go well for making a vegetable biriyani. Avoid using veggies like mushrooms or capsicums unless you have a personal liking towards them. You can also use soya chunks or meal maker nuggets if you like.
vegetable dum biryani recipe with step by step pictures
1. I highly recommend using fried onions for making a good hyderabadi biriyani. The aroma of these fried onions is great and cannot be substituted with any other ingredient and not even with pan fried onions. Thinly slice onions and fry them in hot oil until they turn crisp and golden. Set aside. These are also sold in super markets as fried onions (not onion flakes).
2. Heat oil in a pan. The oil we used for frying onions can be used up. Add the dry spices except shahi jeera . Sauté till you get an aroma. Takes around a min, do not burn.
3. Add shahi jeera and sauté until they crackle.
4. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
5. Add potatoes and fry for 3 to 5 mins.
6. Add the rest of the vegetables and fry for 2 to 3 mins.
7. Add turmeric, salt, red chili powder and biryani masala powder. fry till it turns aromatic for about 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Pour 100 ml yogurt. Set aside rest of the yogurt for further use. Mix Well.
9. Cook covered till the veggies are cooked al dente, just cooked. Cook covered if needed. Do not over cook the veggies.
10. Evaporate the moisture by cooking uncovered for a while. Add mint and green chilies. Mix well and fry for a min. Set aside.
11. In a large pot, bring 5 cups of water to boil, add oil, salt, shahi jeera and rice. Adjust the salt.
12. Cook this rice till it is ¾ done. drain off the excess water and set aside
13. Transfer half of the cooked veggies to a dum biryani pot or pressure pan or your dum biryani utensil. Set aside half of the veggies.
14. Add nuts and raisins.
15. Add fried onions.
16. Pour the left over half of yogurt to the pot, (not to the one that is set side). Mix well and check the salt. Begin to heat on a low flame.
17. Layer half of the rice. Layer the veggies that was set aside from step 13.
18. Add fried onions.
19. Layer rice again.
20. Add nuts, chopped mint and coriander leaves.
21. Begin to heat an old heavy bottom tawa and proceed with the next step.
22. Pour saffron milk. Cover the pan with 2 thick moist kitchen towels. Place the lid and a heavy object on the lid. I do not place any heavy object, as my lid itself is very heavy. Or you can make dough made of wheat flour. Moisten the rim of the pan, place this dough around the rim and place the lid over it. Press the lid tight so that it sticks to the dough tightly and no steam vents out. I do not prefer to do this as this mess up the pan and cleaning is a great pain. you can even use a foil to cover tightly.
23. Move this pan to the hot tawa, cook on medium flame for 5 mins. Set the flame to low. cook this way for 5 mins
veg biryani is ready to serve
veg biryani can be served with a raita or shorba. You can choose one from these
collection of raitas or
collection of biryani gravy.
You may also like this collection of 22 biryani recipes
find complete hyderabadi vegetable dum biryani recipe, veg biryani below
- 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp of biryani masala powder or garam masala(any ready made powder is ok, adjust to suit the spice levels)
- ⅓ tsp red chili powder (adjust as needed)
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- 1 cup or 250 ml yogurt / curd / dahi (not very thick and not very thin)
- 4 tbsp. ghee or oil
- Few saffron strands
- 2 tbsps hot milk to soak the saffron strands
- Raisins as needed
- Cashews as needed
- 1 onion thinly sliced or store bought fried onions
- 8 medium sized cauliflower florets
- 1 large boiled potato cubed (peel the skin and boil till ¾ done)
- 1 large carrot chopped
- Fistful of green peas
- 4 to 5 beans chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp. Mint leaves / pudina minced
- 2 tbsp. Coriander leaves chopped very finely
- 2 green chilies slit
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 4 green cardamoms
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 big strands of mace
- 1 star anise
- 6 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp shahi jeera
- 1 ½ cups aged basmathi rice
- ¼ tsp shahi jeera
- Salt to taste
- Soak saffron strands in hot milk
- Thinly slice onions and fry them in oil till golden and crisp. Set these aside. If you are using store bought fried onions, you can skip this
- In the same pan, add spices and saute till they begin to sizzle
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off
- Add parboiled potatoes and fry for about 3 to 5 minutes, till they are almost cooked
- Add the rest of the vegetables and fry for 2 to 3 minutes
- Add turmeric, biryani masala powder and red chili powder. Mix and fry well for 2 minutes till you begin to get an aroma
- Pour 100 ml yogurt and mix. Cook till the vegetables are done to tender. You can cover and cook. Cook uncovered if there is lot of moisture after the veggies are cooked.
- Add mint and coriander leaves. Set this aside
- Cook rice till al dente in lot of water along with ingredients mentioned for cooking. The rice has to be cooked grainy and not mushy. Drain it off in a colander
- Set aside ⅓ of the cooked vegetable mix. Now mix together the rest of the cooked veggies, rest of the yogurt and nuts and raisins, fried onions and add it to a dum utensil, you can do it in a pressure cooker or any heavy bottom utensil.
- Layer the rice over the mix and layer the ⅓ cooked vegetable mix that was set aside. Sprinkle some fried onions
- Layer rice over it again, then the fried onions, nuts, mint and coriander leaves and pour off the saffron milk and place a moist clean cloth to seal the rim. You can even use a foil or atta to seal the utensil.
- Place the dum utensil on a hot tawa and cook for 5 minutes on a medium flame and then on low for 5 to 7 minutes based on the thickness of your utensil.