vegetable dum biryani is one of the favorite among the vegetarians and a hyderabadi vegetable dum biryani is a royal dish that is aromatic and delicious.
Making a vegetable biryani can be as simple as a biryani in a pressure cooker or veg biryani prepared with a fresh ground masala or can be a dum biryani.
vegetable dum biryani that is quite popular across the world. It is roughly adapted from vahchef’s video and is one of the best veg dum biryani that I can ever make.
To make vegetable dum biryani flavorful and delicious, we need a good masala powder. You can use a store bought powder or can make some from my biryani masala powder recipe.Most folks have the fear of burning the biryani at the bottom that can be prevented by using enough yogurt.
Veg biryani can also be prepared in an oven, the instructions provided below
vegetable dum biryani recipe with step by step pictures
1. Thinly slice onions and fry them in oil to make the fried onions, set aside. For a detailed instructions check how to make fried onions for dum biryani . These are also sold in super markets as fried onions (not onion flakes)
2.Heat oil in a pan; add the dry spices except shahi jeera . Sauté till you get an aroma. takes around a min, do not burn.
3. Add shahi jeera and sauté
4. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off
5. Add potatoes and fry for 3 to 5 mins.
6. Add the rest of the vegetables and fry for 2 to 3 mins
7. Add turmeric, salt, red chili powder and biryani masala powder. fry till it turns aromatic for about 2 to 3 minutes
8. Pour 100 ml yogurt. set aside rest of the yogurt for further use. mix
9. Cook covered till the veggies are cooked aldente. Cook covered if needed.
10. Evoporate the moisture by cooking uncovered for a while. Add mint and green chilies. mix well and fry for a min. set aside
11. In a large pot, bring 5 cups of water to boil, add oil, salt, shahi jeera and rice. Adjust the salt.
12. Cook this rice till it is ¾ done. drain off the excess water and set aside
13. Transfer half of the cooked veggies to a dum biryani pot or pressure pan or your dum biryani utensil. set aside half of the veggies
14. Add nuts and raisins.
15. Add fried onions
16. Pour the left over half of yogurt to the biryani pot, (not to the one that is set side). mix well and check the salt. Begin to heat on a low flame
17. Layer half of the rice. Layer the veggies that was set aside from step 13
18. Add fried onions
19. Layer rice again
20. Add nuts, chopped mint and coriander leaves
21. Begin to heat an old heavy bottom tawa and proceed with the next step
22. Pour saffron milk. cover the pan with 2 thick moist kitchen towels. Place the lid and a heavy object on the lid. I do not place any heavy object, as my lid itself is very heavy. Or you can make dough made of wheat flour. Moisten the rim of the pan, place this dough around the rim and place the lid over it. Press the lid tight so that it sticks to the dough tightly and no steam vents out. I do not prefer to do this as this mess up the pan and cleaning is a great pain. you can even use a foil to cover tightly
23. Move this pan to the hot tawa, cook on medium flame for 5 mins & set the flame to low. cook this way for 5 mins
veg biryani is ready to serve
veg biryani can be served with a simple onion raita or shorba or potato kurma.
hyderabadi vegetable dum biryani recipe, veg biryani below
- 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp of biryani masala powder (you can use a store bought one too, but adjust the quantity as mentioned on the pack)
- ⅓ tsp red chili powder
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- 250 ml yogurt (not very thick and not very thin)
- 4 tbsps. ghee or oil
- Few saffron strands
- 30 ml hot milk to soak the saffron strands
- Raisins as needed
- Cashews as needed
- 1 onion thinly sliced or store bought fried onions
- 8 medium sized cauliflower florets
- 1 large boiled potato cubed (peel the skin and boil till ¾ done)
- 1 large carrot chopped
- Fistful of green peas
- 1 ½ tbsps. Mint leaves / pudina minced
- 2 tbsps. Coriander leaves chopped very finely
- 2 green chilies slit
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 4 green cardamoms
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 big strands of mace
- 1 star anise
- 6 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp shahi jeera
- 1 ½ cups aged basmathi rice
- ¼ tsp shahi jeera
- Salt to taste
- Soak saffron strands in hot milk
- Thinly slice onions and fry them in oil till golden and crisp. Set these aside. If you are using store bought fried onions, you can skip this
- In the same pan, add spices and saute till they begin to sizzle
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off
- Add parboiled potatoes and fry for about 3 to 5 minutes, till they are almost cooked
- Add the rest of the vegetables and fry for 2 to 3 minutes
- Add turmeric, biryani masala powder and red chili powder. Mix and fry well for 2 minutes till you begin to get an aroma
- Pour 100 ml yogurt and mix. Cook till the vegetables are done to tender. You can cover and cook. Cook uncovered if there is lot of moisture after the veggies are cooked.
- Add mint and coriander leaves. Set this aside
- Cook rice till al dente in lot of water along with ingredients mentioned for cooking. The rice has to be cooked grainy and not mushy. Drain it off in a colander
- Set aside ⅓ of the cooked vegetable mix. Now mix together the rest of the cooked veggies, rest of the yogurt and nuts and raisins, fried onions and add it to a dum utensil, you can do it in a pressure cooker or any heavy bottom utensil.
- Layer the rice over the mix and layer the ⅓ cooked vegetable mix that was set aside. Sprinkle some fried onions
- Layer rice over it again, then the fried onions, nuts, mint and coriander leaves and pour off the saffron milk and place a moist clean cloth to seal the rim. You can even use a foil or atta to seal the utensil.
- Place the dum utensil on a hot tawa and cook for 5 minutes on a medium flame and then on low for 5 to 7 minutes based on the thickness of your utensil.
for more veg biryani recipes, check
soya chunks biryani
mumbai vegetable biryani
hyderabadi aloo dum biryani