Indian baby food recipes – a collection of baby food recipes for Indian babies. All the recipes are tried and tested and have been served for both my babies. Any suggestions and queries can be left in the comment section below. Your queries will be answered.
If you are a new mum, you can view the Indian baby food chart here to get more ideas. Here is the list of all Indian baby food recipes available on this blog. Please click on the link to get the recipe.
Indian baby food recipes for babies above 6 months old
khichdi for babies
carrot almond baby food
ragi porridge for babies
barley baby cereal
sago carrot kheer for babies
sabudana kheer for babies
wheat cereal for babies
soft idli recipe
oats porridge with vegetables (blend till smooth)
Indian baby food recipes for babies above 11 months old
healthy drinks to beat the heat, summer drinks for babies above 9 months
Do not use sour fruits as it contributes to colic. Please watch the quantity you serve, a 90 ml serving for a 9 month old, 120 ml serving for a 10 months old, 150 ml for an year old suits well for my babies. Serving large quantity or adding milk to fruits in not a good idea. It leads to indigestion and may upset the tummy. These are best when served alone without any food.
dry dates juice (an ultimate drink for babies during summer)
carrot almond smoothie
orange banana smoothie
apple orange smoothie
Here is a simple recipe, one of the Indian baby food recipes for babies above 11 months old
- 1 tbsp. Chickpeas / kala channa
- 2 tbsp. aged rice
- 1 tbsp. of methi leaves / fenugreek leaves / menthakku
- 1 tsp. ghee
- Tiny pinch of organic turmeric (optional)
- Tiny pinch of pepper powder (optional)
- ⅛ tsp of ajwain powder / caram seeds powder
- salt to taste
- Wash and soak chickpeas 12 hrs., water must be replaced every 4 to 6 hrs. to prevent colic and bloating.
- Wash rice and soak for at least 30 mins.
- Rinse methi leaves thoroughly and chop just before cooking.
- Add rice, chickpeas, methi leaves , salt to a bowl with 1 cup water. Pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles or cook till soft in a soft with more water. If cooking directly in pressure cooker, just cook for one whistle on a low flame.
- once cool, puree the food as babies cannot eat the chickpeas skin.
- Add pepper powder, turmeric and pour 1 tsp of hot ghee and mix.
- Babies do not need tadka.but if you wish you can with mustard and cumin.
- serve warm. Warm foods digest better.
removes vata from chickpeas.
You can read the benefits of carom seeds / ajwain for babies here