moong dal dosa can be made with whole moong also called as moong sabut or green gram in english. It can also be made with split and skinned mung dal that is yellow in color which we use to make moong dal fry.
The recipe shared in this post is made of dal, so can be made instantly with just a soaking time of 15 to 30 minutes. You will end up making these crispy dosas that can be folded to a cone like you see in the picture. Soaking for a little longer could make the dosas less crispy so you can use a few tbsp of rice or rice flour to retain the crispness.
To make moong dal dosa with green gram or moong sabut, check my post on andhra pesarattu.
moong dal dosa is served with ginger chutney or tomato chutney or ginger pickle, but can also be served with coconut chutney or any other chutney.
For more breakfast recipes check out,
instant wheat dosa
steps on how to make moong dal dosa or instant pesarattu
1. Wash and soak dal for 15 to 30 minutes. Grind the moong dal with ginger, salt, chilies, cumin and water as required. The batter must be smooth and the consistency should be similar to that of dosa batter. If you want the pesarattu to be crispy, do not add water to the batter after you finish grinding. Bring it to the right consistency while you grind.
2. This step is optional, you can skip this if you do not want to have onions inside the dosa. Heat a pan with a tsp of oil and fry the onions and chilies on a high flame till they turn slightly brown.This takes around 2 to 3 mins. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
3. Grease the dosa tawa. Heat it till smoky hot, sprinkle little water, allow the water to evaporate, Rub the tawa with the help of a piece of onion.
4. Then pour the batter with a laddle and spread it to a thin round layer with the base of the laddle. You can use even a stainless steel cup instead of a ladle.
5. Spread little ghee around the edges of dosa and allow it to fry on a low flame till the dosa is ready to flip to the other side.
6. Flip the dosa to the other side and toast for a min or 2, this step is optional.
7. Top the moong dal dosa with fried onions and green chilies.
8. Allow the dosa to fry on a low to medium flame to get crispy dosas.
9. Sprinkle water and repeat the procedure for making more dosas.
Serve hot with ginger pickle or coconut chutney.
find complete recipe of moong dal dosa or pesarattu below
- 1½ cups moong dal / green gram dal / pesara pappu (washed and soaked for 15 to 30 mins)
- 1 * 1 ginger piece
- 2 green chilies
- 1 tsp. cumin / jeera
- 2 medium sized onions (chopped small)(optional)
- 2 green chilies (chopped)
- 35 ml Melted Ghee or oil
- 1 tbsp oil
- Piece of onion (to get good non sticky dosas)
- Wash and soak moong dal for 15 to 30 minutes. Drain off the water from dal. Add dal, salt, ginger, chilies and cumin with little water to a blender jar and blend it till smooth with a consistency similar to dosa batter. Do not add more water after the grinding is done. It has to be made to the right consistency while grinding.
- Fry the onions and chilies in 1 tsp. oil till lightly brown. Keep these aside.
- Smear oil over a tawa and heat it. When it is smoky hot, sprinkle water and evaporate. Rub the pan with a piece of onion all over.
- Pour one ladle of batter and spread the batter to make a thin dosa. Sprinkle little ghee at the edges.
- Flip and toast the dosa on the other side, flip it back and add onions and chilies. Toast on a low heat till it turns crispy.
- Sprinkle water on the tawa, rub it with onion and repeat making next dosa/pesarratu.
- Serve moong dal dosa hot with your favorite chutney.