Kadai chicken recipe – Also known as chicken karahi is one of the easiest, simple North Indian chicken curry dishes that is served in restaurants. This is an easy restaurant style chicken recipe that is loved by us for its simplicity. This recipe is roughly been adapted from vahchef and Nita mehta’s cookbook, altered slightly for a quick recipe.
Kadai means a wok which is used in the Indian kitchens for most cooking, dishes made in kadai also known as karahi are named after them like kadai chicken, chicken karahi or karahi chicken, kadai egg masala, kadai paneer, kadai chole, kadai mushroom and so on.
Kadai chicken is mildly flavored with spices and capsicums that’s what makes this dish enticing. It can be had with any rice based dishes or roti, naan or chapathi too.To make a kadai chicken gravy, use some milk cream at the end or use thick cashew milk, details mentioned in the recipe below.
Kadai chicken or chicken karahi or chicken kadai recipe
- 250 grams chicken with bone or boneless
- ¾ cup cubed capsicums/bell peppers
- ½ cup onions cubed and layers separated (optional, but adds good flavour)
- 1 cup ripe sweet tomatoes chopped and pureed
- 1 ½ tbsp. oil (adjust as needed)
- 1 broken red chili deseeded
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 1 tsp. ginger garlic paste
- Salt as needed
- ¾ tsp garam masala powder mixed with ¼ tsp. red chili powder or 1 tsp. kadai masala powder
- ⅛ tsp. garam masala powder
- ¼ to ½ tsp. Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 10 cashewnuts or ¼ cup cream
- Few Coriander leaves chopped finely
- Add chopped tomatoes to a blender and puree them. You can skip this step if u don’t mind using tomatoes directly.
- Soak cashews in warm water for 10 minutes and make a fine paste adding little water. You can skip this step if using cream.
- Add oil to a kadai/wok and fry capsicum and cubed onion for 2 minutes, till you begin to smell them good. Transfer to a plate and keep it aside.
- To the same kadai add broken chili, cumin and fry till the cumin begins to splutter.
- Add onions and fry till golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off. Do not burn it.
- Add chicken and fry for just one to two minutes.
- Cover and cook till it is almost cooked in its own moisture.
- Add kadai masala or garam masala with red chili powder. Mix and fry well for just two minutes.
- Add tomato puree. Mix and cook till almost the raw smell goes off from the tomatoes and the masala thickens. This takes about 5 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- Add sauted onions and capsicums. Mix and continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add cashew paste and mix. If desired you can add more red chili powder to bring a good color to the gravy. Cook till the gravy thickens to your desired consistency. If using cream, pour the cream to a bowl, take a portion of the tomato mixture and mix with cream. Add back to the kadai and stir well. Off the heat.
- Do not overcook kadai chicken. Capsicum and onions should be crunchy.
- Sprinkle garam masala and coriander leaves. Mix well and cook for just one to two minutes. Off the stove.
For more easy Indian chicken recipes, check
Chicken tikka masala
Andhra chicken fry
How to make kadai chicken recipe with step by step pictures
1. Heat a pan with oil, fry cubed onions and capsicum for 2 to 3 minutes. When they begin to smell good, set them aside in a plate.
2. Add red chili and cumin.
3. When the cumin begins to crackle add onions and fry till golden.
4. Time to add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears.
5. Add chicken and saute for 2 minutes.
6. Cover and cook on a low flame till it is soft cooked in its own moisture. Do not add water.
7. Add garam masala and red chili powder or kadai masala and saute for another two minutes.
8. Add tomato puree. Stir and cook uncovered till the raw smell of tomato puree goes away. The gravy also thickens. This takes around 5 minutes on a medium to low flame.
9. When the chicken is fully cooked, add onions and capsicums.
10. Mix and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
11. Add cashew paste, mine was thin cashew milk like. Stir well. Add more Kashmiri red chili powder if needed to adjust the spice and color. Cook till the gravy thickens or reaches a desired consistency. If using cream, just skip adding cashew paste. Pour ¼ cup cream to a cup, add little tomato gravy from the kadai to the cream. Mix and add back to the kadai.
12. To finish off, sprinkle little garam masala and coriander leaves and mix. Cook for another two minutes.
Garnish kadai chicken with coriander leaves, lemon, onion wedges and ginger julienne.