mango chutney recipe – A quick and easy mango chutney to serve with Indian breakfasts like idli, dosa, pesarattu, upma and vada. It can also be served with pongal or curd rice. There are so many ways a mango chutney can be made. This chutney is made using raw mango, fresh coconut and other basic ingredients.
This is a traditional mango chutney from andhra cuisine called kobbari mamidikaya pachadi and is mostly ground to a thicker consistency than seen in the pictures. It is served with rice. If you plan to enjoy it with plain rice, add less water and blend it to a thick chutney.
Related recipe: mango pickle
I made this mango chutney to go with the venn pongal along with papads for our lunch. It was a good combo and the meal was ready under 30 minutes.
step by step photos on mango chutney recipe
1. Wash, peel and cube mango. A longer variety raw mango is more suitable to prepare this chutney as it has a hint of sweetness and is less sour.
2. fry green chili till the raw smell goes off, fry urad dal till golden and the add cumin. Cool these.
3. Add ginger, mango, coconut, salt and then the fried ingredients to a jar.
4. Add 2 to 4 tbsp. water and blend till smooth.
5. Season with seasoning ingredients in the same pan.
Add this to the kobbari mamidikaya pachadi or chutney.
more easy chutney recipes
curry leaves chutney
find complete recipe of mango chutney below
- ½ cup peeled chopped raw mango cubes
- ½ cup grated coconut
- ½ to ¾ inch piece of ginger (optional, refer notes)
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 to 2 tsp urad dal (or white sesame seeds)
- 1 to 2 green chilies or red chilies
- salt as needed
- 1 tsp. oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ dried red chili
- generous pinch of mustard
- ¼ tsp cumin
- pinch of hing/Asafoetida
- Add oil to a hot pan, fry green chili, urad dal till golden. Add cumin and switch off the stove. cool this. If using sesame seeds, dry roast them until fragrant. Set aside.
- Blend together mango, coconut, chili, urad dal, cumin, salt and a piece of ginger. Use 2 to 3 tbsp. water to blend until smooth. If using sesame seeds, powder them first and then blend with rest of the ingredients.
- Heat the same pan, if needed add little more oil, add cumin and mustard when they crackle, add dal and fry until golden. add red chil and curry leaves. Fry until the leaves turn crisp. Pour this to the mango chutney.
Ginger can be skipped, but helps to deal with the tickling throat after eating a sour mango.
fried gram, chana dal or sesame seeds can be used instead of urad dal for grinding. But urad dal brings a aroma to the chutney.