Mango pickle recipe – an easy pickle recipe with step by step photos using raw mangoes. Avakaya is one of the popular variety of pickle made in andhra. The recipe of mango pickle shared here is not that of avakaya but a similar version which can be made with any kind of raw mangoes and can be consumed after a day of preparing. This keeps good for a month if refrigerated and handled well, without refrigeration stays good for a week.
You can find the traditional recipe of andhra avakaya here. Today’s andhra mango pickle is more of a gravy like consistency rather than dry, since it is mostly relished with plain white rice. To make a pickle with lesser gravy, use half the amount of oil, chilli, mustard and methi powder mentioned in the recipe below. With the quantities i have made, it wasn’t very oily, pungent or spicy as it looks to be. I have used fresh byadgi chili powder from India which gives a bright color. Kashmiri chili powder too works good.
To make mango pickle, firstly make sure all the utensils, spoons, blender jar, chopping board, knife and the work area are absolutely dry.
Find complete raw mango pickle recipe below
- 1¼ cup cubed mango pieces(heaped cup)
- 1 tbsp. mustard seeds or 2 tbsp. mustard powder
- ½ tsp methi seeds / menthulu / fenugreek seeds
- 3 tbsp. red chili powder (can reduce by ½ a tbsp.)
- 1½ tsp salt (adjust as needed)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp oil (sesame preferred, peanut is ok as well)
- Choose raw, fresh and unripe mango that is firm and has a clear skin.
- Wash and dry mango thoroughly. Wipe clean with a cloth.
- If possible sun dry the jar and other utensils used for making pickle, Make sure all the bowls, spoons, chopping board and knife are dry.
- Dry roast methi and cool them. In the same pan, warm oil and set aside to cool. Blend methi seeds along with mustard to a fine powder.
- Chop mangoes to slightly large cubes. Add them to a dry bowl, along with red chili powder, mustard powder, salt, lightly crushed garlic.
- Pour oil and mix well. Set aside for 24 to 28 hours.
- Stir mango pickle well and if needed add more salt.
- Store this in a clean glass jar.
Step by step photos on how to make mango pickle recipe
1. Dry roast methi seeds till they begin to smell good. Transfer these to a plate. To the same hot pan, add oil and allow it to warm up. Set aside to cool completely.
2. Powder mustard and methi seeds in a blender to a fine or coarse powder to suit your liking. A fine powder needs less oil for the pickle.
3. Wash mango. I prefer to soak mango in salted water for 30 minutes, scrub it with additional salt and wash off. If you are using organic mango, you can just wash it well and use. Dry it thoroughly. Wipe off with an absorbent cloth or tissue. Chop them to slightly large cubes. Smaller pieces tend to turn very soft and mushy when stored for more than a week. Also i used up the left over pulp on the mango. I finely chopped it as well. They turn soft and add volume to the gravy.
4. To a large bowl, add mango cubes, chili powder, mustard methi powder, salt and lightly crushed garlic cloves.
5. Add oil from step one. Ensure it is cool before adding to the mixture.
6. Mix everything well. The mixture looks dark and dry.
7. Cover it and set aside in a dry place for 24 hours.
8. After 24 to 28 hours, mango releases moisture or juice. Mix well. Check for salt, if needed add little more and mix well. You will get to see this yummy hot spicy mango pickle ready.
Store it in a glass or ceramic jar. Do not use plastic jars for storing pickles, the taste of the pickle changes and it is unhealthy to use plastic containers for storing pickles.
Serve with rice, paratha, idli , dosa and curd rice.