Masala pasta recipe or macaroni recipe with step by step photos. It’s almost been 3 years I posted this masala pasta recipes and have been making this often since kids’ love it. This Indian style pasta recipe doesn’t need any ready sauce and is prepared with just basic ingredients. It can be prepared under 25 minutes and makes a great after school snack for kids or a weekend brunch for the family.
You can use any kind of pasta including macaroni for this recipe. If you have very young kids or toddlers, I suggest using macaroni since it is easy for them to handle. I have used onions, tomatoes, carrots, capsicum and peas. More variety of veggies can be added to suit ones taste like corn, baby corn, cauliflower, broccoli florets.
Find Indian style masala pasta recipe below
- 2 cups pasta / macaroni
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (adjust to suit your taste)
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves chopped finely
- 1 large onion
- 2 chopped carrots
- ¼ to ½ cup green peas
- ¼ cup chopped capsicum / bell pepper
- ¾ to 1 cup chopped tomatoes mashed or pureed (do not use very sour tomatoes)
- Salt as needed
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp garam masala or pav bhaji masala or any other masala powder
- ½ tsp. kasuri methi
- Cream as needed (optional)
- In a large pot, bring 6 cups of water to a boil. Add salt, pasta/ macaroni and cook till al dente. I suggest referring the instructions on the pack.
- Drain off to a colander and rinse in cold water. Set aside.
- Heat half of the oil mentioned in a pan, add cumin, when they begin to splutter add garlic and fry till it begins to smell good.
- Add onions and fry until they turn pink.
- Add chopped veggies and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Mash the tomatoes well and add it to the pan along with salt.
- Cook until the tomatoes turn soft and blend well with veggies. The raw smell of tomatoes should disappear.
- Add kasuri methi, red chili powder and masala powder.
- Stir well and fry for a minute. Switch off the stove. If using cream add now and stir.
- Add cooked pasta and the left over oil. Toss well. Adjust salt as needed. Add coriander leaves.
- Serve masala pasta hot.
Indian style masala pasta or macroni recipe
1. Heat oil in a pan, add cumin when it begins to sizzle add garlic. fry until garlic turns aromatic.
2. Add onions.
3. Fry until lightly done.
4. Add the veggies and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add mashed tomatoes along with salt.
6. When the tomatoes turn mushy and the raw smell disappears, add kasuri methi, masala powder and red chili powder.
7. Fry for one to 2 minutes. If using cream add it now.
8. Add pasta and the other half of the oil.
8. Toss well and add coriander leaves. If it is too dry you can add little oil.
Indian style pasta aka masala pasta is ready to serve.