Matar paneer recipe – A restaurant style North Indian paneer recipe with green peas and paneer simmered in onion tomato gravy. It is served with rice, roti, plain paratha, naan or poori. Matar paneer compliments a party menu or a weekend meal or when you have guests home. To make paneer mutter masala thick rich and creamy – cashews & cream are used. To make a regular matar paneer, just skip cream and cashews. There are so many ways this dish is made, the one i am sharing is a quick and easy one that tastes delicious.
For more Indian paneer recipes, you may like to check
Step by step photos – How to make matar paneer recipe
1. Add cubed onion, chili, tomatoes and 8 to 10 cashew nuts or 1.5 tbsp magaz seeds (melon seeds). You can also use chopped & blanched onions and skip chilli. Sometimes onions lend a bitter taste, if you have any such experience then it is good to boil chopped onions in some water for 2 to 3 mins. Discard the water, cool and blend them.
2. Make a fine puree without adding water.
3. This step is optional. Saute paneer in ¼ tsp oil for 2 to 3 minutes. Leave in warm water until used.
4. Add oil to a hot pan. Allow cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, cardamom and cumin (optional) to crackle. You can also skip all the spices and just use a bay leaf.
5. Add ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell goes away. My ginger garlic paste has turmeric in it, hence the yellow color.
6. Add the ground onion tomato paste. Saute on a medium flame stirring to prevent burning.
7. Saute until the mixture becomes a mass and begins to leave the sides of the pan.
8. Add chilli powder, garam masala and coriander powder (optional).
9. Mix well and saute for about 2 minutes. Make sure the raw smell of the paste has disappeared else the entire dish gets ruined.
10. Add half cup green peas and 1.5 cups water (adjust as needed).
11. Cook until matar is cooked and the gravy thickens. Add salt as needed.
12. Make sure the gravy has thickened before adding paneer. Add crushed kasuri methi and paneer. Cook just for 2 to 3 minutes. If not using cream and your tomatoes are not sour then you can also add 2 generous pinches of amchur powder.
13. If using cream add it just before you switch off the stove and stir. To prevent the cream from curdling, you can also add cream to a bowl first and then stir in little gravy to it. Mix well and add back to the pan. Add Finely chopped coriander leaves and transfer to a serving bowl.
You can adjust the consistency of gravy to suit your liking by adding more cream.
Matar paneer recipe for roti, naan, paratha or rice.
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 ¼ to 1 ½ cup ripe tomatoes
- 8 to 10 cashew nuts or 1.5 tbsp. magaz
- 1 green chili(optional)
- 1 to 1.5 tbsp butter or oil (or half butter half oil)
- 1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ cup green peas
- 1 ½ cups paneer/ indian cottage cheese
- 2 green cardamoms
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- half inch cinnamon stick/ dalchini
- 2 cloves/ laung
- ½ to ¾ tsp kashmiri red chili powder
- ¾ to 1 tsp garam masala (or ½ tsp garam masala,½ tsp coriander powder)
- salt as needed
- ¼ tsp kasuri methi
- few coriander leaves chopped finely
- ¼ cup cream(use for restaurant style)
- Make a fine paste of onions, tomatoes, chili, cashews. You can also blanch onions and use them here. Refer step by step instructions for details.
- Optional step. Saute paneer in little oil and immerse them in hot water until used.
- Saute cumin, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaf in oil for 1 to 2 minutes. Fry ginger garlic paste until the raw smell goes off.
- Add the ground paste and fry until it leaves the sides of the pan.
- Also the raw smell must disappear. Add chili powder, garam masala, coriander powder and salt. saute for 2 minutes.
- Add peas and 1.5 cups water. cook until soft done.
- When the gravy thickens, add paneer, kasuri methi. Cook for just 2 to 3 minutes.
- Using cream is optional. Pour cream to a bowl, add little gravy and mix well. Stir this in to the pan.
- Switch off the stove and add finely coriander leaves.