|Misal Pav Recipe|
For this month’s SNC , Meena of Random Ramblings from the North team has challenged the south team to try out the Maharashtrian Misal Pav Recipe. I followed her recipe exactly except that I replaced the white peas with matki beans as it cooks faster than the white peas. Secondly I used fennel seeds as I felt it will enhance the flavor and yes while cooking the aroma was lingering in the entire house. Lot of thanks to dear Meena for introducing this to us. My kids really enjoyed it.
Makes 6 servings
¾ cup of chopped onions
1/3 cup of tomatoes chopped
1 green chili
½ tsp. ginger garlic paste (or shredded ginger and garlic)
1 green chili
2 to 4 tbsps. desiccated coconut
2 tsps. garam masala (I used homemade garam masala powder)
¼ tsp. fennel seeds powder (if your garam masala does not have it)
¾ tsp. red chili powder
½ tsp. amchur powder / dry mango powder (adjust too much can make the curry sour)
Pinch of turmeric
2 cups of matki beans / moth beans (soaked overnight and sprouted, mine was partially sprouted)
Salt to taste
Oil as needed
½ tsp. Cumin seeds
Water as needed
6 pav buns
¼ cup of chopped onions
Green chilies (optional)
Lemon juice ( I did not use as mine was already sour)
Mixture / chivda as required
1. Heat oil in pan, add green chili, onions and fry till they turn translucent
2. Add ginger garlic paste, sauté
3. Add tomatoes, grated coconut turmeric and salt, fry till tomatoes turn mushy. Set aside to cool and once cool grind to smooth. I forgot to add coconut at this stage and so I added later at step 5
4. Heat the same pan with some oil, add cumin allow to splutter
5. Add this grinded mix, red chili pow, garam masala, amchur pow, fennel powder and coconut (if you forget like me at step 3.) mix well and fry for a min
6. Add the beans. mix and pour enough water to cook. Adjust the salt. Cover and cook till fully done, takes around 7 mins on a medium flame.
7. Misal is ready and transfer to serving bowls, add the garnishing just before you serve as it tends to become soggy fast.
· Adjust the gravy consistency as per your desire.