mohanthal is a popular gujarati sweet that is often prepared during Diwali. khoya, milk or cream, ghee, sugar and intensely fried besan are used to prepare this. The recipe iam sharing is not an authentic one. But is a short cut and quick method to making Mohan thal in less than 25 mins. This recipe is good for those who do not know how to check the string consistency properly which the traditional mohanthal recipe calls for.
This mohanthal is prepared with condensed milk and besan alone with few tbsps. of ghee and no mawa is used. It turns out to be delicious, non-sticky and needs lesser amount of ghee than the traditional one.
mohanthal recipe with step by step pictures
1. Roast besan in ghee till it turns lightly golden, not burnt.
2.Add condensed milk, cardamom powder. Mix well and break up the lumps.
3.Add sugar and little ghee.
4. Cook till it leaves the sides of the pan.
5. pour this to a greased tray or foil, add nuts and level it
6. let it cool down. Cut to desired pieces.
7. Store in an airtight jar.
mohanthal recipe below
- 2 cups besan (coarse besan is preferred, refer notes)
- 3 to 4 tbsps. Melted ghee (do not use more, the ghee begins to ooze out)
- 1 tin of sweetened condensed milk equal to 392 grams
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp. cardamom powder
- Saffron strands few optional
- Chopped Nuts or poppy seeds for garnishing
- Grease a tray or foil or keep a parchment paper ready.
- Add 2 to 3 tbsp. Ghee to the pan and then besan. Mix well and roast the besan till it changes to a slightly dark shade. Keep stirring without burning. Set this aside till the temperature comes down
- Mix condensed milk, cardamom powder, sugar and besan.
- Mix well to break up any lumps and cook till the mixture begins to leave the sides of the pan. Add 1 tbsp. ghee in between while it’s cooking.
- Pour this to the tray, level it and sprinkle nuts. Tuck them in.
- Leave it to cool for about 30 minutes. Cut to desired sizes
- Cool them completely preferably overnight and then move to an airtight box
for more easy sweet recipes, check
badam burfi with jaggery
chocolate kaju katli