Moong dal halwa – An easy, delicious and healthy halwa for festive season or occasions. There are few halwa recipes like carrot halwa or pumpkin halwa, which need quite a lot of effort to cook. But this moong dal halwa can be made in a jiffy since it requires no planning no grating no blending etc.
I had shared a moong dal halwa recipe earlier but was made with sugar and method of preparation is completely different. That is one of our most loved halwa but today’s recipe is good when we do not have much time and want to make something healthy without the use of refined sugar.
How to make halwa using moong dal
1. Dry roast moong dal on a low to medium flame until aromatic. Rinse it very well a few times until the water runs clear.
2. Add water and cook it. You can cook it in a pot or a pressure cooker. I went the easy way using a pressure cooker. Cooked it for 2 whistles on a medium flame. You may need to cook for longer or more whistles depending on the kind of moong dal.
3. Dal must be cooked soft and mushy. Mash it well if you desire.
4. Add your sweetener and cardmom / elaichi powder. For the sweetener, you can use jaggery, jaggery syrup, organic brown sugar or organic pure palm jaggery or coconut sugar. I have used organic palm jaggery. Make sure your sweetener is clean & free from debris.
5. Allow to cook until it melts and begins to bubble well.
6. Meanwhile in a small pan, Heat ghee and fry cashews and raisins (optional). You can also add a crushed clove now, it emits a very good aroma. I forgot to add it.
7. I used sliced pistachios, so I added them later to prevent burning.
8. Set aside your nuts and add the halva to the pan. Alternately, you can just pour the hot ghee to your halwa. I have a kid who is teething so I choose to cook the nuts for a while to soften them. Continue to cook it with ghee for 3 to 4 mins to add aroma and taste. You can also add more ghee or add little more water to bring it to consistency.
Garnish with roasted nuts and serve warm. This moong dal halwa hardens when cooled down. So it is good to serve while warm or heat up with little water stirred in to it.
Delicious healthy moong dal halwa recipe
- ½ cup moong dal / skinned green gram dal/ skinned split mung beans
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ to ¾ cup jaggery / brown sugar/ palm jaggery (prefer organic & unrefined)
- ¼ tsp of elaichi / green cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp solid ghee or 2 to 2.5 tbsp melted ghee
- Cashews or nuts as desired
- Dry roast dal on a low flame until aromatic. Rinse very well and cook with 1.5 cups water until smooth. It can be cooked in a pressure cooker for 2 to 3 whistles on a medium flame.
- Mash the dal very well and add the sweetener along with cardamom powder.
- Cook on a low heat stirring often for few mins for the sweetener to dissolve completely.
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry nuts until golden. Set the nuts aside and add the ghee to halva . Stir and cook for 2 to 3 mins.
- Garnish with nuts. Best served hot or warm. If needed to reheat, add little water into the pot until bubbly.