Moong dal halwa recipe – Rajasthani moong dal halwa -I tasted this moong dal halwa first time in a North Indian Restaurant in Singapore and loved it very much. It is very commonly served with a North Indian Thali in restaurants. This sweet dish originates from Rajasthan and is usually made during auspicious occasions and Festivals like Diwali.
Moong dal halwa tastes great and is a melt in the mouth and can be made easily. I sometimes make this to serve my kids after school. It is a protein rich sweet and needs a good amount of ghee. This can be prepared either with khoya (mawa) or milk. I prefer to use milk and not khoya since it looks very crumbly once it is done but tastes good. If khoya is used these can be rolled to ladoo too.The recipe to make moong dal ladoo is same as this recipe with an addition of khoya.
To get a smooth mouth melting moong dal halwa, you need to keep mashing up the lumps as much as possible. Sugar can be replaced with jaggery and saffron can be skipped.
Rajasthani moong dal halwa recipe below
- 1 cup moong dal / yellow dal
- 2 cups of milk (you can use half water and half milk)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 to 4 tbsp. Ghee (do not reduce, it doesn't taste good)
- ⅛ tsp. cardamom powder or rose water
- Few strands of saffron
- 3 to 4 tbsp. water to grind the dal
- 2 to 3 tbsp. Milk to soak saffron
- Wash and soak dal in lot of water for at least 3 hours.
- Add drained dal along with 2 to 3 tbsps. water to a blender jar and blend till smooth. Keep it aside.
- To a heavy bottom nonstick pan, add ghee and melt.
- Add the ground dal and cook on a medium flame stirring constantly
- Warm up the milk. Add saffron to 2 tbsps. milk and set aside
- Cook dal till it becomes crumbly and aromatic while stirring constantly. Takes about 10 mins.
- Add warm milk to the dal. Mix well and break up lumps. Cook stirring.
- When the milk evaporates, add sugar and mix well.
- Add saffron and cardamom powder or rose water.Mix and cook till the halwa begins to leave the sides of the pan.
- Add little ghee. Stir and mash up the lumps well to get a smooth moong dal halwa.
How to make moong dal halwa recipe
1. Wash and soak moong dal for 3 hours.
2. Drain water completely and grind dal to a smooth paste with 3 to 4 tbsps water. Set this aside.
3. Heat a nonstick pan with ghee.
4. Once the ghee melts, add the ground paste and begin to cook on a medium flame without burning
5. Meanwhile warm up the milk. I did it in a microwave. add saffron to little milk and soak
6. Keep cooking the dal mix till it becomes crumbly and you can smell the aroma. Takes around 10 mins. Keep stirring constantly to prevent burning.
7. Pour in the warm milk. Mix well and break the lumps. Continue to cook, constantly stirring.
8. Once all the milk is evaporated, add sugar and mix well.
10. When the sugar melts, add saffron and cardamom powder. Mix well and continue to cook till it begins to leave the sides of the pan.
11. If needed add some ghee. While stirring, keep mashing up the lumps, to get a smooth moong dal halwa.
12. when the halwa is still warm, just mash up well with a flat spoon to make it look smooth and lump free.
Garnish Rajasthani moong dal halwa with nuts.