Mushroom biryani recipe – learn how to make mushroom biryani with step by step photos. Mushrooms are a powerhouse of nutrtion, have high anti oxidants, many other nutrients and are said to increase immunity. They can be added to everyday vegetables to prepare curry, stir fry , fried rice, pulao and even a flavorful biryani. Though we don’t like mushrooms much, I prepare to get the health benefits they provide.
Mushrooms are called as putta godugulu in telugu, kalaan or kalan in tamil and khumb in hindi. Iam sharing a simple mushroom biryani recipe made with white button mushrooms. I have also mentioned how to make instant biryani masala powder that you can prepare in just 2 minutes.You can even use a ready made garam masala powder. You can also check this simple mushroom dum biryani.
Biryani is one of our favorite foods at home, so I make it often. You may also like to check these biryani recipes.
Simple mushroom biryani recipe below
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups basmathi rice or any fragrant rice
- ½ cup yogurt / curd or tomatoes
- 1 medium onion sliced thinly
- Fistful of Chopped mint / pudina
- Fistful of Chopped coriander leaves
- 1 ½ tbsp. Ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chili sliced
- 3 tbsp. Oil
- ½ tsp. red chili powder
- 1 star anise
- ½ tsp. shahi jeera
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 1 strand of mace
- 4 green cardamoms
- Small cinnamon stick
- 6 cloves
- Fat pinch of grated nutmeg (optional)
- ½ tsp. stone flower / dagad phool / kalpasi (optional)
- ½ tsp. saunf / fennel seeds
- Wash and soak rice for at least 20 minutes.
- Powder the ingredients mentioned under to powder. Set this aside
- Heat a pan with oil, add the dry spices to temper.
- When they begin to sizzle, add onions and chilies and fry till golden.
- While the onions fry wash and chop mushrooms
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell dis appears
- Add yogurt or tomatoes and fry till the oil begins to separate. While this cooks, bring 3 ½ cups water to boil in a large pot.
- Add red chili powder, powdered masala, mint and coriander leaves and fry for about 1 to 2 minutes
- Add mushrooms, fry on high for 2 minutes. Add boiling water to the mushroom mix and add rice & salt. Boiling water is added to prevent the mushrooms get soaked up in cold water. If you don’t mind eating mushy mushrooms, you can add cold water and bring it to a boil.
- Cook till the rice is fully cooked. If needed sprinkle some water.
- Garnish with coriander leaves
- Serve mushroom biryani with onion raita.