I usually prepare potato kurma for veg pulao or veg biryani. This week I had invited a vegetarian friend home for lunch for the usual gup shup which was missing between us for quite some time. I prepared this Mushroom Korma curry as a side for the veg biryani.
It is almost same as my potato kurma but mushrooms need a taste enhancer else they taste bland and the gravy too does not taste good.
To make mushroom korma , we need a taste enhancer, you can try with any one of the following, each lends a different flavor and taste
8 to 10 cashews, make a fine paste or
2 tbsps. magaz seeds, make a fine paste or
2 to 3 tbsps. coconut and poppy seeds together, make a fine paste or
One large boiled potato and cubed
step by step pictures on mushroom korma or mushroom kurma recipe
1. Heat oil in a pan, add dry spices and saute for a min.
2. Add green chili onions and fry till onions turn translucent, if you like crunchy, just sauté for a min.
3. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté till you get a nice aroma.
4. Add mushrooms and boiled potatoes (optional), fry on high for 2 minutes
5. Add turmeric, salt, red chili powder, garam masala powder and fry till you get a nice aroma.
6. Add mint and fry.
7. Simmer the heat, add the yogurt, mix well and cook.
8.When it begins to bubble, add the cashew nut paste, if using potato you can skip this step. You can add in more yogurt to adjust the consistency, but do not add water. Cover and cook till the mushrooms are done. Do not overcook else the mushrooms become too soft and soggy. Serve mushroom kurma with rice, roti or biryani.
for more mushroom recipes,
find complete mushroom korma or kurma recipe below
- ½ cup of thinly sliced onions
- ¾ to 1 cup of sliced white button mushrooms
- 1 medium sized boiled potatoes cubed
- 1 green chili slit
- Fist ful of mint leaves /pudina chopped finely
- 1 tsp. ginger garlic paste
- ½ to ¾ tsp garam masala (adjust)
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- Generous pinch of turmeric powder
- ¼ cup of thick yogurt
- Few sprigs of coriander leaves
- Oil and salt as needed
- 1 small bay leaf
- 2 green cardamom
- 1 small star anise
- ¼ tsp shahi jeera
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 8 to 10 whole cashew nuts or
- 2 tbsp. melon seeds or
- 2 tbsp. Coconut and poppy seeds or
- 1 medium potato boiled and cubed
- Add cashews or magaz or coconut, poppy seeds to a blender and make a fine paste. Set this aside. If using potato skip this step. You don’t need a paste
- Add oil to a hot pan and fry dry spices till they sizzle
- Add sliced onions and chili and fry till slightly golden
- Add ginger garlic paste, fry till the raw smell disappears
- Add mushrooms and potatoes (if using), fry on high for 2 minutes
- Add turmeric, salt, red chili powder, garam masala powder, and fry till the masala turns fragrant
- Lower the flame, add the yogurt, mix well and cook
- When it begins to bubble, add the cashew nut paste or melon cashew paste. Add more yogurt to bring it to the consistency, without adding water. Cover and cook till the mushrooms are cooked tender. Over cooking make the mushrooms soggy.