Mushroom masala recipe – easy mushroom gravy recipe that yields a smooth gravy like the restaurant style dish. I am sharing 2 different methods or recipes to make mushroom curry. Mushrooms are used to prepare a variety of dishes like biryani, masala, kadai mushroom gravy and curry.
The first method of mushroom masala recipe is very simple to make and has a curry base like the paneer masala. Moderately spicy, tasty and goes well with ghee rice, plain rice, jeera rice, roti, chapathi, plain paratha, naan or plain biryani.
Recipe 1 – Ingredients to make mushroom masala
1 ½ cup sliced mushrooms
¾ cup cubed onions
½ cup chopped tomatoes
½ inch ginger
2 garlic cloves
6 to 8 almonds or cashews
1.5 tbsp oil
Small piece of bay leaf
2 green cardamoms
1 small cinnamon stick
½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder
½ to ¾ light garam masala
¼ tsp kasuri methi
salt as needed
How to make mushroom masala gravy or curry
You can also find a home style curry at the second half of this post.
1. Add ¾ cup cubed onions, ½ cup tomatoes, ½ inch ginger, 2 garlic cloves and 6 to 8 almonds or cashews to a blender jar. You can also replace ginger garlic with 1 tsp of ginger garlic paste. You can also blanch the onions and use if you have ever experienced bitterness from raw onions.
2. Puree them to a fine paste without adding water.
3. Heat a pan with 1.5 tbsp oil, add a small piece of bay leaf, 2 green cardamoms and 1 small cinnamon stick. Saute until they sizzle.
4. Pour the onion tomato puree. Be careful the mixture may begin to splash. Cover partially and continue to cook until the mixture thickens.
5. Add ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder, ½ to ¾ light garam masala.
6. Saute until the mixture turns aromatic and begins to leave the sides. You may not see oil separated as we did not use much here.
7. Add 1 ½ cup sliced mushrooms and then sprinkle salt. (you can refer method 2 for preparing mushrooms).
8. Saute for 2 mins.
9. Add ½ to ¾ cup water and make a thick gravy. Adjust the quantity of water slightly as it depends on how much moisture the mushrooms release.
10. Cover and cook until the gravy thickens and mushrooms are cooked. Do not overcook as they turn rubbery. Sprinkle ¼ tsp kasuri methi. Cover and switch off the stove. At this stage you can also add few tbsps of cream if you like. Serve mushroom gravy hot with rice, roti or jeera rice.
Recipe 2 in the recipe card below
Mushroom masala or mushroom gravy recipe
- 1 ½ cups sliced white button mushrooms
- ½ cup capsicums cubed (optional)
- ¾ cup of chopped onions
- ½ cup of chopped tomatoes or tomato puree
- 1 sprig curry leaves or bay leaf
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds or small cinnamon, 2 cardamom
- 1 tsp. ginger garlic paste
- ¾ tsp red chili powder
- ½ to ¾ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp kasuri methi (optional)
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of turmeric
- 2 tbsp. roasted Peanuts or 10 cashewnuts or almonds
- 1 tbsp. roasted Sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp. Desiccated coconut (optional)
- Wash mushrooms and cut to desired size just before you cook as they discolor fast.
- If using cashews, soak them for 10 minutes in water and make a thick paste. Or Roast the ingredients under to roast and powder them and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add bay leaf or curry leaves, cumin and let them splutter.
- Add onions and fry till they turn golden, add ginger and fry till the raw smell goes off.
- Add tomatoes or tomato puree, salt and turmeric, fry till the tomatoes turn mushy. if using puree then cook till it thickens.
- Add the cashew paste or peanut powder. If using cashew paste, fry for about 3 to 5 minutes. If using peanut powder just fry for a minute.
- Add water as required, mix well to remove lumps, bring it to a boil.
- Meanwhile add oil to a pan, Cut & fry mushrooms on a medium flame for 2 to 3 mins, set aside.
- Fry capsicums on a high heat for 2 mins.. off the flame and set aside
- Once the gravy comes to a boil, add the mushrooms cover & cook for 2 mins.
- Add capsicum, garam masala & kasuri methi if using.
- Cook for 2 to 3 mins or till the mushrooms are cooked. Do not overcook as they tend to become soggy very fast.
- Serve mushroom masala hot with rice or chapathi.
Method 2 – How to make mushroom masala recipe
This is a home style recipe, very simple to make and has a curry base like the Hyderabadi mirchi ka salan. To make the gravy thick you can use either peanut powder or cashew paste. Both taste good and impart different flavors to the curry. I used peanut powder for a change and loved it. It tastes similar to the hyderabadi mirch ka salan.
1. Add oil to a pan and heat, saute mushrooms until a nicea roma comes out. Set aside. Saute capsicums too if using. Set them aside as well. To the same pan, add the dry spices. When they splutter, add green chili, onions and fry till golden. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
2. Add tomatoes or tomato puree, salt and turmeric. If using tomatoes, fry till they turn mushy. If using puree , cook till it thickens and the raw smell disappears.
3. Add cashew paste or peanut coconut powder. If using cashew paste, fry for 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Pour water and mix well. Bring it to a boil. When the gravy thickens, add mushrooms.
5. After the mushrooms are half cooked, add capsicums.
6. Add kasuri methi, garam masala. Mix and cook just until the mushrooms are cooked. Do not over cook.
Mushroom masala gravy is ready to serve with roti, paratha or biryani.