mushroom masala recipe – a easy mushroom gravy recipe that yields a smooth gravy like the restaurant style dish. Mushrooms are used to prepare a variety of dishes like mushroom biryani, mushroom masala, kadai mushroom, mushroom curry. Mushroom masala recipe that iam sharing today is very simple to make and has a curry base like the Hyderabadi mirchi ka salan. Moderately spicy, tastes nutty and goes well with rice, roti, chapathi, naan or biryani.
To make the gravy thick you can use either peanut powder or cashew paste. Both taste good and impart different flavours to the curry. I used peanut powder for a change and loved it.
how to make mushroom masala recipe with step by step photos
1. Add oil to a pan and heat, add the dry spices. When they splutter, add green chili, onions and fry till golden. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
2. Add tomatoes or tomato puree, salt and turmeric. If using tomatoes, fry till they turn mushy. If using puree , cook till it thickens and the raw smell disappears.
3. Add cashew paste or peanut coconut powder. If using cashew paste, fry for 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Pour water and mix well. Bring it to a boil. Meanwhile fry mushrooms in a different pan for 2 to 3 minutes. set them aside and fry capsicums as well. Set these aside as well.When the water comes to a boil, add mushrooms.
5. After the mushrooms are half cooked, add capsicums.
6. Add kasuri methi, garam masala. Mix and cook just until the mushrooms are cooked. Do not over cook.
mushroom masala gravy is ready to serve with roti, paratha or biryani.
mushroom masala or mushroom gravy recipe
- 1 ½ cups sliced white button mushrooms
- ½ cup capsicums cubed (optional)
- ¾ cup of chopped onions
- ½ cup of chopped tomatoes or tomato puree
- 1 sprig curry leaves or bay leaf
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tbsp. crushed ginger or ginger garlic paste
- ¾ tsp red chili powder
- ½ to ¾ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp kasuri methi (optional)
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of turmeric
- 2 tbsp. Peanuts
- 1 tbsp. Sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp. Desiccated coconut (optional)
- This step is optional.Sprinkle plain flour on the mushrooms and remove the skin if you desire, scrape off the visible hairy part if any. You can also use it as it is.Wash and set aside, cut to desired size just before you cook as they discolor fast.
- If using cashews, soak them for 10 minutes in water and make a thick paste. Or Roast the ingredients under to roast and powder them and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add bay leaf or curry leaves, cumin and let them splutter.
- Add onions and fry till they turn golden, add ginger and fry till the raw smell goes off.
- Add tomatoes or tomato puree, salt and turmeric, fry till the tomatoes turn mushy. if using puree then cook till it thickens.
- Add the cashew paste or peanut powder. If using cashew paste, fry for about 3 to 5 minutes. If using peanut powder just fry for a minute.
- Add water as required, mix well to remove lumps, bring it to a boil.
- Meanwhile add oil to a pan, Cut & fry mushrooms on a medium flame for 2 to 3 mins, set aside.
- Fry capsicums on a high heat for 2 mins.. off the flame and set aside
- Once the gravy comes to a boil, add the mushrooms cover & cook for 2 mins.
- Add capsicum, garam masala & kasuri methi if using.
- Cook for 2 to 3 mins or till the mushrooms are cooked. Do not overcook as they tend to become soggy very fast.
- Serve hot with rice or chapathi.
more mushroom recipes,