Mushroom pulao recipe is made a bit different from the regular pulao. If it is prepared the same way, one would prepare a veg pulao, the mushrooms will be very soft and soggy with not much flavor left in them. If you love using coconut milk you can use it instead of water to cook the pulao. This mushroom pulao is mildly flavorful from the dry spices and the heat comes from the green chilies used.
This pulao can be made in a pot or in a pressure cooker too. Mushrooms are sauted in ghee or oil first and then added to the half cooked pulao to retain their flavor. Mushroom pulao can be served with an onion raita or mint raita.
Mushroom pulao recipe below
- 1 cup basmathi or long grain rice
- 1¾ cup water or thin coconut milk
- Mushrooms as desired (at least 10 to 12 medium ones)
- 1 large potato cubed or few green peas (optional)
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced or finely chopped
- 1 green chili slit or chopped
- 1 tbsp. Ginger garlic paste
- Fistful of mint leaves chopped finely
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 tbsp. ghee (can replace oil)
- 6 cloves
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- ½ tsp. shahi jeera / black cumin
- 3 green cardamoms
- 1 strand mace
- 6 to 8 roasted Cashew nuts
- Few mint or coriander leaves chopped finely
- Dry spices can be used directly or powdered and then used.
- Wash and soak rice for at least 20 mins. Drain the water and set aside.
- Wash and cut the mushrooms.
- Heat a pot or pressure pan with ghee, fry mushrooms for a min or 2. Set them aside.
- Lower the flame. Add more oil to the pot, add dry spices or powdered spices. Fry till you get an aroma just for a minute. Do not burn them.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off. Just for about a minute or two.
- Add onions, green chilies, potato and mint leaves and fry for about three to four minutes.
- Add 1¾ cup water and salt. Bring the water to a boil.
- Add rice and cook till the rice is half cooked.
- Add fried mushrooms and cook till almost the water evaporates fully.
- Close the lid or pressure cooker lid and cook for 4 to 5 mins on a very low flame if using basmathi rice. If you are using any normal aged rice, then let it whistle once. If cooking without a pressure cooker, cook till the rice turns soft and cooked fully.
- Serve mushroom pulao hot with any raita or gravy.
Mushroom pulao recipe with step by step photos
1. Add ghee or oil to a pot and fry mushrooms to bring out the flavor.
2. Set these aside in a plate.
3. Add little more oil and fry spices. you can even powder the spices and fry. Take care not to burn.
4. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears.
5. Add onions, green chilies, potatoes or peas and mint leaves. Fry for about 3 to 4 mins.
6. Add water or coconut milk and salt. Bring it to a boil.
7. Add soaked and drained rice. cook on a medium flame.
8. When the rice is half cooked, add the fried mushrooms from step one. Stir gently.
9. When there is very little water left, Cover and cook on a low flame till the rice is done. If using a pressure cooker close the lid and cook for about 5 minutes on a low flame. Do not allow to whistle if using basmathi rice. If using normal rice one whistle is fine.
10. Mushroom pulao is ready. Garnish with cashews and coriander or mint leaves.
Serve hot with a raita.