mutton biryani recipe in andhra style is a simple and quick one suitable for bachelors, new cooks and busy folks. This is an exact replica of what we get in most south Indian good restaurants.
The success to make any good mutton biryani is tender meat and pressure cooking it. Most folks fail to prepare a good mutton recipe, due to the wrong choice of the meat. Using one that is not tender. Next overcooking or cooking on high flame too can make it hard. However all these depend on the kind of feed lamb or goat has been on.
If you are using meat that is not tender or if you are unsure about how tender it is, use meat tenderizer, which is available in most stores. Alternately you can use grated raw papaya during marination. Just 2 tbsps. For half a kg is the approximation. I have personally never used it as I get good tender meat in Singapore.
how to make mutton biryani recipe with step by step photos
some of you might be interested to know what kind of a pan I use for this biryani, I use a heavy bottom pressure pan . You can peek at my utensil, it hasn’t burnt the biryani either. These measurements work fine for me always.
find complete recipe of mutton biryani below
- 2 cup of aged basmathi rice (soaked for 10 mins)
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup fresh yogurt (do not use a sour one, can make your rice very sour as we are using tomatoes too)
- ¾ cup onions sliced thinly
- 2 to 4 green chilies
- ½ cup of tomatoes (adjust as per your desire)
- 1 tsp. garam masala powder
- ¼ cup of mint leaves / pudina
- ¼ cup of coriander leaves
- 4 tbsp. Oil (do not reduce)
- 1 large or 2 small bay leaves
- 1 whole small nutmeg
- 2 strands of mace
- ¾ tsp shahi jeera / black cumin
- 6 green cardamoms
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 star anise
- Few pepper corn
- 3 inch cinnamon stick
- 6 to 8 cloves
- ½ kg of tender lamb mutton (cut to a size of your choice)
- ¾ tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp. garam masala powder
- 1 ½ tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- Salt little
- Wash mutton and drain water thoroughly and marinate with marination ingredients and set aside for at least an hour.
- Heat a wide pressure pan or non-stick with oil, add the dry spices, sauté till they begin to sizzle.
- Add onions, green chilies and fry till they turn brown almost about to caramelize. This is crucial to get a good aroma and taste. There must be enough oil to for the onions to fry. If needed add some more oil.
- Add tomatoes, sprinkle salt just enough for the tomatoes to cook easily. Cook till the tomatoes turn fully mushy.
- Add half of the coriander and mint leaves, sauté for a min.
- Add the marinated mutton pieces, pour the yogurt, mix well and cook on a low flame till the mutton turns tender or cook for 3 whistles. When the pressure goes off, remove the lid. You will be left with a thick gravy. How thick depends on your mutton. If you are left with lot of watery gravy, then evaporate it by cooking for some time.
- Add water and other half of mint and coriander leaves, bring to a boil. Add rice, 1 to 1 ½ tsp. garam masala powder. Adjust salt and cook on a medium flame till almost all the water is evaporated.
- Cover and cook till the rice is fully done. If the rice is under cooked and there is not enough moisture, you can sprinkle some water. Alternately you can close the lid of the pressure pan / cooker and cook on a very low flame for 5 to 7 mins. The flame must barely touch the surface of the pan. Do not let the cooker whistle. Alternately you can move the pan on to a old hot tawa. Set the flame to medium and let it cook that way for 12 mins. This way the biryani is not burnt at the bottom.
Method 2 mutton biryani recipe
Dry spices (for seasoning is same as above)
Spices (roast lightly and powder)
1 black cardamom
5 green cardamom
3 inch cinnamon stick
½ tsp cumin or shahi jeera
Few pepper corn
To Grind (green masala)
1 cup packed coriander leaves
½ cup packed mint leaves
1/3 cup of chopped onions
3 green chilies
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
All Instructions are same, add the green masala at step 5.
more biryani recipes on this blog,
hyderabadi chicken biryani