Kerala chicken curry recipe – Nadan chicken curry recipe with coconut milk, one of the mouthwatering recipes from kerala that is made of coconut oil and coconut milk (coconut in some form: milk, grated or paste). A very flavorful and thick curry that goes well with any rice like ghee rice, simple jeera rice or chapathi, appam or bread.
Though I love this collection of chicken curry recipes on the blog, I was looking for a chicken curry with coconut milk, Julie’s recipe had drawn my attention, especially for the final tempering touch up that was given. This is a traditional kerala chicken curry recipe and is called as the nadan kozhi curry. I totally adored it and have been making since then.
Kerala chicken curry recipe below
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice (optional)
- ¼ to ½ tsp red chili powder(less spicy variety like kashmiri or byadgi)
- salt as needed
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- ⅛ tsp of pepper powder
- ½ kg of chicken (500 grams)
- 1 ½ tbsp. coriander seeds
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- ¼ tsp. pepper corn
- ¾ tsp. fennel seeds
- ¼ tsp cumin (optional)
- 2 to 4 red chilies or ¼ tsp red chili powder (less heat variety like kashmiri or byadgi)
- 1 ½ to 2 tbsp. Coconut oil
- ½ cup of sliced onions
- 1 tbsp. of ginger garlic paste
- ¾ cup of thin coconut milk
- 1 ½ tsp coconut oil
- 1 red chili (break and remove the seeds)
- 3 to 4 pearl onions sliced thinly
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- Marinate chicken with the marinating ingredients and set aside for at least 30 to 45 mins.
- Dry roast all the spices mentioned under to roast. Once cool add water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan, add onions and fry till they turn translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
- Add chicken and fry on a high flame till it turns white in color, for about 2 to 3 mins.
- Pour the grinded spice mix. Mix well. Cover and cook till the chicken is done. Keep stirring in between. I did not use additional water, the moisture in the chicken and grinded spice mix was enough to cook.
- Pour the coconut milk. Mix well. When the coconut milk begins to bubble cover and simmer for 5 mins. Check salt and adjust as needed. Off the heat
- Heat a pan with coconut oil and fry onions till they turn pink; add curry leaves and red chili. When the leaves turn crisp. Pour this over the kerala chicken curry.
for more chicken curry recipes, check
andhra chicken curry
chicken curry without coconut
chicken butter masala
chicken tikka masala
How to make kerala chicken curry recipe with coconut milk
1. Marinate chicken with lemon juice,garam masala, salt, turmeric , red chili powder and pepper. Set aside for about 30 to 45 minutes. This tenderizes the meat.
2. Dry roast the dry spices and cool them. Make a fine powder and add little water and make a paste.Set aside.
3. Add coconut oil to a hot pan and fry onions till lightly golden.Then add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
4. Add the marinated chicken and fry for 2 to 3 minutes on a high flame. Pour the ground garam masala paste, Mix well.
5. Cook covered on a medium to low flame till the chicken is cooked completely.Pour thin coconut milk.
6. Simmer for 5 minutes. Check salt and adjust as needed. Heat a small pan with coconut oil for tempering. Add onions and fry till they turn pink. Add curry leaves and broken chili. when they turn crisp. Switch off the stove.
7. Pour this tempering over the kerala chicken curry.