Urad dal ladoo are a slight variation to minapa sunnundalu, a popular andhra sweet ladoos that are relished during festive season especially during Sankranthi. It is given regularly to growing kids since it has high nutrients.
The traditional recipe of urad dal ladoo calls for only 3 ingredients urad dal, ghee and sugar. Due to the dry nature of powdered urad dal, lot of ghee is used to bind them. You can find the traditional recipe of urad dal ladoo known as Sunnundalu here.
The recipe shared here is a variation, I have made to the basic recipe since the original one requires lot of ghee. I add powdered nuts and sesame seeds which help to reduce the quantity of ghee. If you do not have nuts, you can replace them with more sesame seeds.
Urad dal ladoo recipe below
- 1 cup urad dal / minapa pappu
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds (optional)
- 2 tbsp. almonds or walnuts
- ¾ to 1 cup sugar brown or sugar
- 3 green cardamoms (powdered)
- ½ cup melted ghee
- If you are not particular about washing urad dal, you can go ahead using without washing. Otherwise Wash and sun dry urad dal (can fan dry too for few hrs). dry roast till you get a nice aroma. Powder it.you can mill it too.
- Dry roast lightly sesame seeds. Set aside to cool
- Dry roast almonds.
- Firstly powder dal with cardamoms to a slightly coarse powder
- Powder sugar finely, add to the powdered dal.
- Powder sesame seeds, add to the ready powder.
- Powder almonds , add to the dal powder.
- Heat the ghee slightly.
- Mix all the three ingredients along with sugar , run the blender once till slightly warm.
- Transfer this mix to a plate and pour slightly hot ghee little by little as needed.
- Mix and make the balls. Add ghee only when needed. You may not need to add the entire ghee
- Store urad dal ladoo in air tight jars.
If you are looking for more ladoo recipes, check
moong dal ladoo
raisin nut balls
How to make urad dal ladoo with step by step pictures
1. Wash and sun dry urad dal (can fan dry too for few hrs). dry roast till you get a nice aroma. Powder it or you can mill it too. if you do not mind using them without washing, you can use them as it is.
2. Dry roast sesame seeds and almonds or walnuts. Powder it coarsely or you can just chop nuts and powder sesame seeds too
3. Mix all the dry ingredients evenly, blend it in mixie jar in batches till it becomes warm.It will begin to ooze oil that helps in binding.Heat up the ghee and pour little by little on the mix and make round balls. Alternately can use milk to make the ladoos, but they taste good only if consumed immediately.