oats dosa can be made in many ways. This is a 2-in-1 post, meaning 2 recipes in 1 post. One quick and easy method is to make an instant oats dosa. The other one is using urad dal dosa batter or leftover dosa batter, definitely a healthier way to have oats dosa. Both the recipes are without curd or buttermilk.
To make the oats dosa instantly, along with oats we need to use either rice flour or wheat flour. Only rice flour yields crispiest dosa, using half rice and half wheat flour or semolina also yield good dosa and only wheat flour also yields good but may not work with rolled oats. To use only wheat flour, quick cook oats work best.
I have used 3 tbsp. wheat flour and one tbsp. rice flour for half cup rolled oats. The same works well with even instant oats too.
step by step photos on how to make oats dosa recipe
1. Add all the ingredients to a bowl.
2. Add water and make a thin batter of pouring consistency. Set aside for 5 minutes if using rolled oats. Squeeze up the mix with your hands to blend the oats well.
3. heat a tawa and grease it. Pour the batter thin, do not spread the batter like we do for normal dosa. We will have to just pour the batter.
4. When the Instant oats dosa is done, flip it to the other side and toast there as well.
Serve with a good chutney.
more Indian oats recipes,
oats recipe for diabetics
find complete recipe of Instant oats dosa below
- ½ cup oats
- ¼ cup rice flour (or 2 tbsp. rice flour 2 tbsp. wheat flour)
- Salt as needed
- 1 small green chili chopped
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ tsp. crushed ginger
- 1 ½ to 2 cups water
- Oil as needed
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl, pour water. Leave it aside for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Skip this step if using quick cook oats, follow if using rolled oats. Mash everything well with your hands. For the rolled oats to blend well and soften.
- Heat a tawa and grease it if not using a non-stick pan.
- Pour the mixture thinly, as thinly as possible. This comes good out of practice. Drizzle some oil towards the edges.
- Cook till the oats dosa firms up.
- If using wheat flour or rolled oats, we need to cook on the other side. Otherwise cooking on one side is enough.
- Cook until it turns crispy.
- Serve crispy oats dosa hot with a good chutney.
method 2- oats dosa recipe using urad dal batter or dosa batter
1 cup thick fermented urad dal dosa batter
2 to 3 tbsps. Semolina/ upma rava (optional)
¼ cup of powdered oats
Water as needed
Salt to taste
Mix all the 3 ingredients with little water and salt and bring it to a dosa batter consistency, do not make the batter runny.
Set aside for 10 mins, if the batter becomes too thick, add some more water and bring it to the right consistency.
Heat dosa tawa till smoky hot, sprinkle little water, allow the water to evaporate, then pour the batter with a laddle and spread it to a thin round layer with the base of the laddle. You can use even a stainless steel cup instead of a ladle.
Spread little oil around the edges of dosa and allow it to fry on a medium flame till the dosa is ready to flip to the other side.
Flip the dosa to the other side and toast for a min or 2, this step is optional.
Serve hot with any chutney of your choice.