Oats recipes – Collection of 30 healthy, delicious, quick and easy oats recipes to try. Oat like whole wheat or brown rice is a whole grain and comes with tons of health benefits. There are a few different kinds of oats that are available in the market. Often readers ask me about the kind of oat to use for a particular recipe. So sharing them briefly here. Will update the pictures shortly.
I have shared only 30 oats recipes in this post, For more choice you can also visit this link on healthy oats recipes where you can find my latest oats recipes.
1. Whole oat groats : These are hulled oat kernels meaning the outermost layer that is inedible is removed from the whole grain oats. These are chewy and go great in salads, slow cooked stews and pilafs. The cooking time of whole oat groats is quite long as much as 50 to 60 mins apart from the soaking time. Not all oat varieties have low glycemic index, but whole oat groats have the lowest Glycemic Index among their counter parts since these are least processed.
2. Steel cut oats : These are coarsely cut groats with a sharp steel blade. The nutritional profile & Glycemic Index of this kind remains the same as the whole groats. The cook time of this is slightly lesser than the whole groats as they are cut.
3. Scottish oatmeal : The whole groats are stone ground to coarse meal, great to make porridge and stews. Cooking time is about 15 to 20 mins.
4. Regular or Rolled oats : These are made similar to the Indian Poha. They are steamed and then rolled to flatten them. So they can be eaten as such without cooking. They also cook quite fast. It is always good to use these organic since we do not rinse them and are consumed directly.
5. Quick cook oatmeal : These are steamed for longer and pressed more to make them flakes than the previous kind. The nutritional profile of this kind is almost the same as the rolled variety. These have a high glycemic index and must be consumed in moderation. It is good to use these too organic.
If you are striving to prevent or manage diabetes, then the best kind is to use whole groats or steel cut and the next choice should be rolled variety. Quick cook or instant variety are more processed and is almost similar to any processed food and is good to avoid them.
Reduced risk of cardiovascular diseases, lower cholesterol levels, improved immunity, reduced risk of type 2 diabetes are some of the health benefits that come just with the consumption of 1 bowl of oatmeal regularly. But most of us may not prefer to eat a porridge regularly. Here are 30 healthy easy oats recipes that we have been enjoying at home for years now.
Collection of 30 oats recipes
The collection includes recipes suitable for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. You can also find 3 ladoo varieties, pancakes, muffins, idli, dosa, uttapam, porridge, chivda etc.
Oats dosa : You can make these in 2 ways – Instant dosa and with leftover dosa batter. Both recipes included in the same post. Both turn out delicious and crispy.
Oats Idli recipe : A variation to the traditional south Indian steamed breakfast Idli. These can be served for breakfast or even for a meal.
Oats Masala Dosa : South Indian Style dosa made with oatmeal and potato stuffing.
Oats upma : Includes 2 recipes with quick oatmeal and rolled oat. Can be made with mixed vegetables and plain.
Oats Bisibelebath : Oatmeal and lentils cooked with mixed vegetables and spice powders.
Curd oats recipe : Seasoned yogurt oatmeal.
Masala oatmeal : Oatmeal cooked with Indian masala aka spices. Makes a good breakfast.
Oat egg omelette : Ten minutes recipe, a quick breakfast, snack or can be served with a soup.
Oats Khichdi : North Indian style Khichdi made with mixed vegetables and moong dal. You can also use any other dal you prefer.
Overnight Oats – No cook recipe. All you need to do is assemble the ingredients the previous night and refrigerate. You are set to enjoy the wholesome nutritious breakfast in the morning. A perfect week day breakfast and you can also carry it to work in a mason jar.
Oat sesame ladoo : These can also be made with peanuts or any other nuts. They are made with jaggery and no ghee or any other fats are used. Makes a great mid morning or evening snack for kids and everyone.
Oats uttapam : A quick uttapam made with oatmeal. This post includes 2 recipes. You can also make them with left over dosa batter.
Oats besan cheela – Enjoy these quick, healthy, delicious and crisp savory pancakes made with gram flour and oatmeal. They make a great breakfast or a snack.
Vegetable oat porridge : Great breakfast for those who do not like sweet porridge.
Oatmeal pancakes : The best healthy pancakes I ever made. This post includes a recipe to make your own healthy chocolate syrup at home. These can be served with chocolate syrup, jam , honey or maple syrup.
Apple oat recipe If you love fruit flavours then you may like this.
Oats pongal : South Indian style pongal made with moong dal, pepper corn and ginger. Makes a quick lunch or dinner.
Oats pesarattu recipe : Pesarattu is a popular dosa variety from Andhra pradesh. An addition of oatmeal makes it even more healthy.
Granola made on stove top : Usually granola is baked in oven, but this recipe helps you to make it on stovetop or on a gas stove. It is made with jaggery instead of honey or maple syrup.
Oats moong dal dosa : Made with left over pesarttu batter. If you have some leftover batter you can try this.
Oats coconut ladoo: These are a must try festive delight, a variation to the coconut jaggery ladoo.
Oat dry fruits ladoo – Made with dry fruits and oatmeal, no added sugar.
More oats recipes to be shared shortly.