Oats soup recipe – Vegetable oats soup is one of the easiest oats recipes that one can try for a quick breakfast or light dinner. It’s absolutely delicious, healthy and nourishing. To make this vegetable oats soup, any kind of oats like rolled oats, quick cook oats or even steel cut oats can be used. Only the cooking time varies for each of these.
I have used only carrots, beans, corn and peas to make this but you can also use potato, sweet potato, stir fried cauliflower, broccoli etc. I have made this slightly spicy by adding red chili flakes and pepper which can be skipped. You can also check this link for more healthy oats recipes to make under 30 mins.
Oats soup recipe
- ¼ cup rolled oats (or any)
- 1 ½ cup mixed vegetables like carrot, peas, corn, beans
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp chopped ginger (optional)
- ¼ to ½ pepper crushed
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes (use as needed)
- Water about 2 cups or as needed
- ½ tsp Italian herbs or oregano or as desired
- Salt as needed
- Lemon juice as needed (optional)
- Add butter to a hot pan. Saute garlic in the melted butter until it smells good.
- Add oats and roast for 1 to 2 mins. If using steel cut oats then, roast for about 3 mins.
- Add all the veggies and saute for 2 mins.
- Pour water and cook until the veggies are done.
- Add more water as needed.
- Sprinkle the herbs and pepper.
- Add salt and switch off.
- Serve vegetable oats soup warm. Sprinkle red chili flakes. You can also add in some lemon juice before serving.
How to make oats soup recipe
1. Melt butter and saute garlic until it turns aromatic. You can also use ginger if you like the flavor.
2. Add oats and saute for a while. If using steel cut oats, saute for about 3 mins or until they begin to smell nutty.
3. Add all the mixed veggies. Saute they too for a min or 2.
4. Add water as needed to suit your taste.
5. Cook it on a medium heat until the veggies are cooked. We don’t need to add any thickeners here since oats makes the soup slightly thicker. Add more water if needed to bring it to a consistency.
6. Add herbs and pepper. You can also use fresh herbs. I used mixed italian herbs.
7. Add salt as needed. Switch off. You can also add red chili flakes now or while serving.
Serve oats soup warm. We prefer to add some lemon juice just before serving.