Oats upma recipe – learn easily how to make oats upma with vegetables in 15 minutes with step by step photos. To make oats upma, regular rolled oats are best. The health benefits of regular rolled oats are more when compared to the quick cook oats. Regular rolled oats have a low glycemic index than the quick cook oats. So those who want to include oats in their diet for health reasons must favor rolled oats. However i have shared 2 recipes one with rolled oats and the other with quick oats. A bowl of freshly cooked oatmeal or porridge could be one of the healthiest breakfasts. But not many folks like to begin their day with porridge or granola, for them there are many alternates to enjoying this grain.
Oats can be used to make masala oats, lemon oats, oats pongal, oats pesarattu, oats dosa, vegetable oats porridge, oats chivda.
Oats upma can be prepared in less than 15 minutes. So i make it often either for breakfast or for the evening snack.
Method 1 how to make oats upma using quick oats and vegetables – This upma made of quick oats will not turn out grainy like the rolled oats upma.
1. Heat oil in a pan, add cumin, mustard,dals and hing. When the dal turns golden, add curry leaves, green chili and chopped vegetables.
2. Fry till the vegetables are soft. If needed cover and cook.
3. Add 1 cup quick oats, salt.
4. Fry for two minutes without burning.
5. Sprinkle 3 tbsp. water and stir. Cook covered for about 2 minutes. Few tbsp water will be enough to cook the entire oats. Do not add more water or do not over cook it makes the upma mushy.
Garnish with coriander leaves and lemon wedges.
To make this oats upma using rolled oats , you can use ¼ cup of chopped mixed vegetables like green peas, carrots, capsicums. I have used peanuts, you can replace them with cashews.
method 2 how to make oats upma using rolled oats in 15 minutes
1. This is an optional step. Dry roast oats evenly in a skillet for 5 minutes. keep this aside to cool. You can make this a day ahead and save it in a airtight jar.
2. Add oil to a pan and heat. Add peanuts, chana dal, urad dal , cumin, red chili and mustard. fry till they turn golden. Skip peanuts if using green peas.
3. Add chili,ginger, hing and curry leaves and fry till the curry leaves turn crisp. Add onions and fry till they turn slightly pink. Add chopped vegetables like carrots, peas, beans. Fry till they turn soft. If needed cover and cook.
4. Wash roasted oats under running water in a colander. Drain off the excess water. Add turmeric to the pan. If using tomatoes add them and fry till mushy. i do not prefer to use them.
5. Add the washed oats.Sprinkle salt, lemon juice if you like. Mix everything well.
6. Cook covered on a low flame for about 7 minutes.
7. Add coconut, coriander leaves and lemon juice (if you have not used tomato). If you like it to be soft and mushy, just sprinkle some water and cook further for another 2 minutes.Mix everything well and serve.
To make this oats upma , you can use ¼ cup of chopped mixed vegetables like green peas, carrots, capsicums. I have used peanuts, you can replace them with cashews.
Find oats upma recipe below
- 1 cup rolled oats or quick cook oats. Refer method 1 if using quick oats
- 1 onion cubed
- ¼ cup chopped vegetables (carrot, peas, beans)(optional)
- 2 green chilies (slit) or broken red chili
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ tsp, chopped ginger (optional)
- pinch of hing
- ¼ tsp mustard
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp. chana dal
- ½ tsp urad dal
- 1.5 tbsp. peanuts or cashews(use only if not using green peas)
- pinch of turmeric
- Salt to taste
- lemon juice as needed or 1 very small tomato
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Grated coconut as desired (optional)
- Add oil to a hot pan, When the oil is hot, add cumin, mustard, dals and hing. Allow the dals to turn golden, add curry leaves, green chili and finely chopped vegetables.
- Fry till the onions,vegetables are soft. Cover and cook if needed.
- Add 1 cup quick oats, salt and fry for one to two minutes without burning.
- Sprinkle 3 tbsp. water. Mix.cover and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Garnish with grated coconut, coriander leaves and lemon wedges.
- Dry roast oats for about 5 minutes in a wide pan. Set this aside to cool. This is optional but helps to remove the husky smell.
- Heat a pan with oil, add cumin, mustard, peanuts, chana and urad dal and fry till golden
- Add hing, ginger ,chili, curry leaves and fry till the leaves turn crisp
- Add onions, chopped veggies and fry till they turn transparent.
- while the onions are frying, rinse the oats in a colander under running water
- Drain up the entire water
- Add turmeric. If you prefer to use tomato you can add it now and fry till it turns mushy.
- Add the rinsed oats, sprinkle salt. mix well
- Reduce the flame to low, cover and cook for about 6 to 7 minutes. stirring occasionally till fully cooked.
- if needed you can sprinkle little water, if you want it to be mushy.
- Add grated coconut, coriander leaves and lemon juice.mix and serve
- It tastes good as it is. Oats upma is best served with yogurt.