ginger chutney called as allam pachadi or allam chutney in telugu can be made ahead and refrigerated for 2 days. This is a simple chutney recipe for pesarattu, idli, dosa, or paratha. It only needs few ingredients and can be made in less than 20 minutes.
to make ginger chutney, i have used onions, lightly roasted to bring out the sweet aroma along with ginger otherwise ginger can leave a pungent or bitter taste. Channa dal is used to give volume and taste to the chutney. I have used tamarind, it can be replaced with lemon juice.
I made this ginger chutney to go with the oats dosa which I posted earlier. I prefer to make vegetable chutneys to go with my breakfast rather than a peanut chutney or coconut chutney.
Tempering this chutney is optional if you desire, you can do it. But it tastes good as it is.
find allam chutney or ginger chutney recipe below
- 2 tbsp. Channa dal / senaga pappu
- 1 ½ inch by 1 ½ inch ginger
- Salt as needed
- 2 red chilies (adjust to suit your taste)
- 1 tbsp. tamarind paste or lemon juice(adjust to suit your taste)
- ⅛ tsp. cumin
- 1 large onion chopped and layers separated
- Oil as needed
- Soak tamarind in hot water for a while and extract the paste and set aside.
- Roast all ingredients separately one after the other in oil until golden. Set aside to cool
- Grind all the roasted ingredients, tamarind, salt and little water till smooth
- If you wish, you can season allam chutney with hing, curry leaves, mustard and cumin.
more chutney recipes
peanut capsicum chutney
methi leaves chutney.