Paneer cheese toast recipe – Delicious, spicy and flavorful paneer cheese toast or sandwich made on tawa or pan. This can also be made in a sandwich toaster, microwave or Oven. These are good to serve as a evening snack or in a meal along with some soup and veggie salad. I made this paneer cheese toast sometime ago for the weekend dinner along with this Sweet corn soup.
This recipe doesn’t need any sauce, chutney or ketchup and is just made with all basic ingredients that we usually have at home. If you do not have paneer, you can also use feta cheese.
I made these with fresh homemade paneer, however even store bought paneer works good. If you prefer to make paneer at home, you can check this post on how to make paneer. I used about 4 cups of milk.
Video of paneer cheese toast recipe
Paneer cheese toast recipe
- 1 ¼ to 1 ½ cups crumbled Paneer (Indian cottage cheese)
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 medium sized onion chopped finely
- 1 green chili chopped ( skip if making for kids)
- 1 tsp ginger paste or ginger garlic paste (or grated)
- 1 medium tomato – deseeded and chopped fine
- ¼ tsp turmeric/ haldi
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder
- ½ to ¾ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp kasuri methi
- Salt as needed
- Butter for toasting bread (optional)
- 160 to 200 grams mozzarella cheese grated (use as needed)
- Red chili flakes as needed
- Handful of coriander leaves chopped
- Heat a pan with oil and add cumin.
- When they begin to crackle, add onions and chilies.
- Saute well until the onions turn golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes away.
- Add tomatoes and sprinkle salt, turmeric.
- Cook until the tomatoes turn mushy. You can also cover and cook at this stage to speed up the process.
- Add garam masala and red chili powder. Mix well until well combined.
- Add paneer. Mix to spread the masala very well.
- Add coriander leaves and kasuri methi. Saute for a minute and switch off.
- Smear butter to the bread slices on one side and place them on a pan.
- Add very hot paneer bhurji over the bread and then the grated cheese over it.
- Cover with a lid and toast on a low to medium heat until the cheese melts. Keep checking in between to prevent burning.
- Just microwave it on high heat for 1 minute.
- Put the bread along with cheese topped in a 170 C preheated oven. Grill for 8 to 10 mins or until golden.
- Serve paneer cheese toast immediately.
- You can place another bread slice over the cheese and place it in a toaster. Toast until golden.