paneer fried rice recipe – a quick nutritious rice dish that goes good in lunch box or as a quick dinner. One of the kids’ favorites and is often made for the school box. I am sharing 2 methods of making this rice. The first one is more suitable for the lunch box. The second method is best served immediately.
method 1- Ingredients to make paneer fried rice
1 cup rice
1 tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup tiny cubes of paneer
3/4 cup chopped veggies (capsicum, carrots, beans, spring onions)
1 tsp vinegar
salt as needed
pepper powder as needed
1 to 2 garlic cloves.
step by step photos on how to make paneer fried rice
1. Cook 1 cup rice till grainy and cool it. Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a pan and fry 2 chopped garlic and 1 strand of mace. Mace lends a good aroma to the rice and hence can skip using sauce for this recipe
2. Add 3/4 cup chopped veggies and fry until they are done. I used carrots, beans , spring onions and capsicums. Crunchy veggies taste good, do not over cook.
3. Add 3/4 cup paneer, handful of spring onion greens and fry until lightly golden. If fried for long they turn rubbery.
4. Add 1 tsp vinegar and salt as needed.
5. Next cooked rice and 1/8 tsp pepper. I also like to add olive oil at this stage.
6. Mix all and switch off. Garnish with spring onions.
method 2 – spicy paneer fried rice
This is a fusion recipe made similar to the chicken tikka fried rice that i shared earlier. To make this paneer fried rice, paneer is first marinated just like we do for the tikka. Then the tikka is fried and set aside. Then the fried rice is made. This tastes unique and is best when served immediately.
- 1 cup of uncooked long fragrant rice (any)
- ¼ cup of thinly sliced peppers / capsicums (red and green)
- ¼ cup of carrots and Spring onions (separate white and greens)
- ½ to ¾ tbsp. vinegar (optional)
- 2 tbsps olive oil (can reduce)
- 1 tsp oil for frying paneer
- ½ to ¾ cup of paneer
- 2 to 3 tbps of yogurt
- red chili powder as needed
- salt to taste
- Jumbo pinch of turmeric
- ½ tsp ginger garlic paste (optional)
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- Marinate paneer with the marination ingredients and set aside for atleast 15 mins
- Soak the rice for 15 to 30 mins and cook in lot of water till it is done. Do not overcook and make the rice mushy. Drain off the water and set this rice aside. if you are using a sticky variety of rice, add few drops of oil to the water while cooking rice
- Heat a wide pan with 1 tsp oil, add the paneer along with the marinade and cook on medium high till the paneer turns crisp. This step takes only 3 to 4 mins, try using a wide pan, else the yogurt will take long time to evaporate and paneer could turn hard. set these aside
- Add olive oil to the same pan, add carrots and white part of spring onions, sauté till carrots are half done
- Add bell peppers and sprinkle some salt and fry till capsicums are almost done
- Add fried paneer and green onions, toss everything well.
- Add rice, pepper powder and vinegar, mix and fry on high for 2 mins.