Paneer jalfrezi recipe with step by step photos – I had made chicken Jalfrezi from a cookbook few times before and we all liked it. I wanted to share a vegetarian version made using paneer since jalfrezi recipes are fairly easy and taste good. Chicken jalfrezi is very popular in UK and there is also a vegetarian version made with mixed vegetables, this recipe is almost the same just with an addition of paneer to it, thus the name paneer jalfrezi.
It pairs well with plain basmati rice, jeera rice, roti, naan or can be used to make kathi rolls. It is kids’ friendly too, just reduce the chilli powder. To make this recipe you can also use cubed paneer.
For more paneer recipes, check
Step by step photos to make restaurant style paneer jalfrezi recipe
1. Wash and chop tomatoes. Add them to a blender and make a smooth puree.
2. Set aside tomato puree, capsicum / bell peppers cut length wise, ginger garlic paste, thinly sliced onions along with slit and deseeded green chili. If using store bought paneer, soak it for a while in warm to slightly hot water. Cut them length wise.
3. Add oil to a hot pan. Saute cumin in hot oil until they begin to splutter.
4. Add chilli and onions. Fry until transparent just for a while.
5. Add ginger garlic paste. Freshly ground paste works better.
6. Fry until the raw smell goes off.
7. Add tomato puree and cook for a while.
8. Add salt, turmeric, spice powders and stir. I added a bit of coriander powder since my garam masala was very strong.
9. Cook until the raw smell of tomatoes goes away.
10. Add bell peppers and if desired few thinly sliced tomatoes.
11. Stir and cook until the peppers are half done.
12. Add paneer and crushed kasuri methi. Mix everything gently to coat the masala well over paneer. Be gentle else paneer may break. Cook for just 3 to 4 minutes.
13. Adjust salt now. Stir. Add chopped coriander leaves.
Serve with naan, roti or plain basmathi rice.
- 1 tbsp. oil
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera
- 1 ¼ cup tomatoes or ¾ cup plus 2 tbsp. puree
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions (2 medium onions)
- 1 green chili slit
- 1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup capsicum / bell peppers
- ¼ cup thinly sliced tomatoes deseeded (optional)
- 300 grams or 11 oz paneer (replace with mix veggies to make veg jalfrezi)
- 1 to 1 ¼ tsp garam masala
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder
- 2 pinches of turmeric
- salt as needed
- ¼ to ½ tsp kasuri methi / dried fenugreek leaves
- few coriander leaves
- Prepare the veggies. If needed Soak paneer in hot or warm water for a while. Cut length wise. Set aside.
- Puree tomatoes and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute cumin until they crackle.
- Fry onions until transparent. Fry ginger garlic paste to remove the raw smell.
- Add tomato puree and fry until it thickens a bit.
- Add spice powders and salt.
- Fry until the raw smell of tomatoes is vanished.
- Fry the bell peppers until half done.
- Add paneer, kasuri methi and stir slowly to coat the spice paste well.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Do not over cook.
- Add coriander leaves and stir.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.