paneer tikka masala recipe, Learn to make one of the most popular paneer recipes in a restaurant style.
I truly treasure some of sanjeev kapoor’s recipes and have been enjoying them for years and two of them are paneer butter masala, and this paneer tikka masala recipe. This paneer gravy dish that pairs great with roti, naan, kulcha or jeera rice or plain biryani.
Over the years, the original recipe has been slightly modified by me, to make it easier and convenient for a home preparation without having to compromise the taste, which turns out to be like the restaurant style paneer tikka masala.
to make paneer tikka masala gravy , paneer tikka is made on tawa on stove top to cut down the cooking time. I see no point in threading them to the skewers, if I have to use them for making the gravy. These paneer tikka is good to use for gravy and are soft.
If you are interested to make these paneer tikka in an oven you can very well proceed with the same marination ingredients. If you want your gravy to look like the restaurant style, can try using a good Kashmiri or byadgi red chilli powder. I would not prefer to use food colors.
how to make tawa paneer tikka on stove top without oven
1. marinate paneer with all the marination ingredients and set aside for 30 mins.
2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wide tawa on a high flame, remove off the excess marination and drop these in the tawa and toss them on a high flame till all the marinade dries up and the paneer turn golden. This takes only 2 to 3 mins. set aside. do not over fry them, they can turn harder.
3. While you fry the paneer at step 2. marinate the veggies with the left over marinade. once you finish paneer tikka, set them aside and in the same pan, remove excess marinade and toss the veggies on the pan till the marinade dries up and the veggies look partially charred. do not overdo else they lose the crunch. set aside paneer tikka.
how to make paneer tikka masala gravy with step by step pictures
1. Heat butter or oil in a pan, add cumin. If desired you can use bay leaf, small cinnamon stick, cloves, few pepper corn. Saute till you get an aroma.
2. add onions ,green chili , fry till they turn golden. while the onions fry, add tomatoes and cashews to a blender jar and puree to very smooth.keep this aside
3. add ginger garlic paste, fry for 2 to 3 minutes or till you get a good aroma. do not burn it will make the gravy bitter.
4. add the tomato puree, red chili powder and cook till it begins to leave the sides of the pan. takes around 3 to 5 mins.
5. pour ¼ to ½ cup water.
6. add kasuri methi, garam masala powder, bring it to a boil.
7. add paneer and cook for 2 mins on a medium flame, overcooking can break your paneer cubes and can make them harder too.
8. add veggies and cook for 1 min, overcooking can make your veggies soggy.
9. pour the cream of your choice, adjust salt, add coriander leaves. mix and off the heat
Garnish with fresh coriander and green chilies. Serve paneer tikka masala hot with roti, paratha or jeera rice.
more restaurant style paneer recipes,
paneer butter masala
find delicious and easy paneer tikka masala recipe below
- 1cup of paneer cubes
- 1 cup of veggies (onions cubed and layers separated, red bell pepper (capsicum) and green bell pepper, all cubed to equal size)
- marination for making paneer tikka
- ⅓ to ½ cup of hung yogurt (refer notes how to make hung curd)
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ¾ tsp chili powder
- ¾ tsp garam masala
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- salt to taste
- Gravy ingredients
- ¼ tsp cumin (I use bay leaf, few pepper corn, small cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom, all are optional except cumin)
- ¾ cup of finely chopped onions
- 1 green chili slit (optional)
- ½ cup of tomatoes chopped (pureed)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp basic garam masala (coriander, cumin , clove, cinnamon and cardamom powders)
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- ¼ cup of milk cream (can use cashew milk or almond milk for healthier option)
- 12 to 15 cashew nuts or 2 tbsp. cashew paste (kaju paste) (optional, but use to get restaurant style)
- few coriander leaves chopped
- oil or butter as needed
- Firstly, marinate paneer with the marination ingredients mentioned above and set aside for 30 mins.
- Add chopped tomatoes, cashews or cashew paste to a blender and make a smooth puree, Set this aside
- Heat a tbsp oil or butter in a wide pan on a high flame, remove off the excess marination drippings and drop the paneer in the tawa and toss them on a high flame till the marinade dries up and the paneer turns golden. This takes only 2 to 3 mins. Over frying can make paneer harder and rubbery.
- While the paneer is getting fried, marinate the veggies with the left over marinade. when the paneer tikkas are done, transfer them to a plate and set aside
- Now in the same pan, remove excess marinade & toss the veggies on the pan till the marinade sticks up to the veggies and the veggies look partially charred. Overfrying will make them lose the crunch. set these aside.
- Heat butter or oil in a pan, add cumin, other dry spices if you wish like cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, bay leaf. sauté till they begin to emit a good aroma
- Add onions ,green chili , fry till onions turn a good golden
- Add ginger garlic paste, sauté till it gets fragrant
- Add the tomato puree, red chili powder and fry for about 5 mins or till you see the oil begins to separate.
- Add ¼ to ½ cup water , add garam masala powder and kasuri methi. Bring it to a boil and cook till you see a thick gravy for about 3 to 5 minutes on a medium flame
- Add paneer tikka and cook for 2 mins on a medium heat, overcooking can break your paneer cubes and can make them rubbery too.
- Add vegetables and cook for 1 min, overcooking can make the veggies soggy
- Pour the milk cream of your choice, check salt, add coriander leaves. mix and off the stove. Serve paneer tikka masala with roti, naan or veg pulao.
2. the original recipe calls for tomato puree and chopped tomato too, but that becomes too sour, so I only use chopped tomatoes but in pureed form
3. using cashews adds taste to the gravy, use if desired, this is optional
4.if you are looking for the restaurant style paneer tikka masala gravy use milkcream at the last step and cashew to the tomato puree
5. To make the hung curd, add around 1½ cups yogurt / curd to a thin muslin cloth or a clean handkerchief and tie it up and hang it in the refrigerator for about 2 to 4 hours. use only ½ to ⅓ cup of the hung yogurt