Making paneer tikka on stove top (on gas stove) without an oven is one of the easiest tasks and they taste as good as the ones made in an oven. Especially when you have to make for a crowd, this seems to be the easiest one with no waiting time for the oven to finish the batches. I do not thread them on to the skewers first, but instead I roast them first and put them on to the tooth picks or skewers. This way they are cooked well. I can have a better control over the quantity of paneer my kids eat when I put them on to the toothpicks (yes they tend to overeat paneer), if you wish you can use skewers.
tawa paneer tikka made on gas stove can be served as an appetizer or can even be used to make paneer tikka masala gravy.
I have not used any food color , if you wish you could use it. Adding little oil to the marination could help to get a good color from turmeric and red chili powder.Use a good and enough quantity of chili powder to get a good color, mine did not since i used very little chili powder (made it for the kids).
To make paneer tikka on stove top, we can use even use besan and ajwain which tastes almost like the paneer amritsari
For restaurant style paneer recipes, check
paneer butter masala
step by step pictures of making paneer tikka on gas stove without oven
1. Tie one and a half cup curd in a muslin cloth and hang it till all the water drips off, usually for a night inside the refrigerator. You can hang it out for about an hour till most of the whey drips off and then move it to the refregerator
2. Add all marination ingredients to a plate, make a smooth paste of it
3. Add paneer and marinate for at least 30 minutes to 2 hours, Adjust the time more or less to your schedule. But the longer they marinate, they tend to be more flavorful.
4. Heat a non-stick tawa with oil, spread the oil evenly all over the pan, remove excess marination. Do not remove the entire marinade. They must still be moderately coated .Roast them till all the masala dries up, takes only 2 to 3 minutes.While roasting flip the paneer to all the sides and cook. Over cooking can make the paneer rubbery, so use your judgement and remove them to a plate
5.While the paneer is getting roasted, marinate the cubed onions and capsicums with the left over marinade and fry them on the same tawa, after you remove the paneer.Fry till the peppers are half cooked and crunchy.
6. Skew them to a skewer or tooth picks. Serve with mint chutney or use them to make paneer tikka masala
paneer tikka on stove top recipe (without oven) below
- 1.5 tbsp. oil for frying paneer tikka
- 1.5 cups paneer approximately about 200 grams
- 1.5 cups yogurt or ¼ cup hung curd
- ¾ tsp. Kashmiri red chili powder
- ¼ tsp. pepper powder
- 1.5 tsp. ginger garlic paste
- ⅛ tsp. turmeric
- ¾ tsp. kasuri methi
- 1.5 tsp. Lemon juice or ¾ tsp. amchur powder (skip if yogurt is sour)
- ½ tsp garam masala powder or ¼ tsp biryani masala powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp. oil
- salt to taste
- ½ green bell pepper cubed
- ½ red bell pepper cubed
- 1 large onion cubed and layers seperated
- Add curd to a muslin cloth and make a knot, squeeze off excess whey and allow whey to drip off completely by hanging inside the refrigerator. If you have hung curd ready, you can skip this step.
- Mix all the ingredients mentioned under marination. Marinate paneer with the curd mix. Set this aside for at least 30 minutes, if possible for 2 hours.
- Heat a tawa with oil, remove excess marination, keeping a fair amount of marinade still on the paneer and add it to the tawa and fry till the marination dries up, flipping the pieces to all sides. It takes only 2 to 3 minutes to cook. Do not overdo, paneer turns rubbery and hard
- marinate the vegetables with left over marinade
- When the paneer is cooked, remove to a seperate plate and add vegetables to the tawa and fry on a medium flame till partially cooked so that they don't loose the crunch.
- skew paneer, onions, capsicum alternately on to a skewer or tooth pick