Pasta soup recipe – A good soupy veg pasta to enjoy for evening snack or for dinner especially during the monsoon. For a quick dinner, you can pair this with some toasted garlic bread or a fried egg. I haven’t made it spicy or hot and just made with simple ingredients as I always do. Lot of readers had requested me to share a pasta recipes for kids especially for toddlers. This is one of the recipes that is a real stand by when I am unable to cook an elaborate meal or have nothing for their after school snack. I resort to this very often.
If making for dinner I usually roast some boiled eggs along with this soup. You can use vegetables like potato, corn, carrots, beans and peas. I have experimented with other veggies like broccoli, mushrooms, sweet potato, cabbage and cauliflower which did not go well for us. You may experiment with the choice of your veggies. . You can experiment with some red chili powder or paprika for a spicier pasta soup.
For this recipe, I have used macaroni. You can use any kind of pasta here – spaghetti, penne, fusilli etc. I make this with macaroni since my younger kid still cannot handle other kinds. If you have a toddler at home I suggest using elbow pasta or macaroni.
You may like to check these top 10 pasta recipes
Pasta soup recipe below
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped finely
- 1 ½ cups chopped veggies (potatoes, peas, carrots, corn, beans)
- 1 to 2 medium sized ripe tomato (deseeded & pureed) or lemon juice as needed
- 1 cup pasta – elbow pasta
- 2 cups water ( can add another ½ cup)
- Salt as needed
- Herbs – oregano as needed
- ½ tsp Pepper (adjust to suit kids)
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil and add pasta. Cook until al dente. Drain to a colander and rinse them well.
- Heat butter in a pot, saute garlic until you begin to smell the garlic good.
- Saute the veggies for about 2 to 3 mins until you smell them good.
- Add tomato puree and saute on high for 3 to 4 mins. If using lemon juice, skip using tomato.
- Add water and cook on a low heat until the veggies are soft and tender.
- Add salt and pasta. Adjust water as needed.
- Cook further for 2 to 3mins.
- Add pepper and herbs. Serve hot / warm. Add lemon juice just before serving.
You can also serve with
Garlic cheese toast
Capsicum cheese toast
Egg in a hole
Egg bread toast
How to make pasta soup recipe
1. Pour 6 cups of water to a large pot and bring it to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente. Drain and rinse them well in a colander.
2. Add butter to a hot pot.
3. Saute garlic until it smells good.
4. Saute the veggies along with garlic for 3 mins. I did not have potatoes so didn’t use, but I suggest using since they help to slightly thicken the soup. You can also use corn.
5. Puree tomatoes and add them to the pot. This step is optional. I used since there was no lemon at home. I usually add lemon juice to the warm soup just before serving.
6. Cook for 3 to 4 mins. I prefer to do this on a high flame until the tomatoes dry up.
7. Pour 2 cups of water.
8. Simmer covered with a small vent open to let out the steam. Cooking on a low heat makes the soup tasty.
9. Once the veggies are tender, add the cooked pasta and stir. Add more water if needed to suit your consistency.
10. Cook for 2 to 3 mins.
11. Add pepper.
12. Add oregano.
Serve hot or warm with spicy roasted boiled eggs or toasted bread.