pav bhaji recipe -pav is an Indian bread and bhaji is mashed vegetables cooked with spice powder.Learn how to make pav bhaji recipe with step by step photos.
Mumbai street foods are popular across India, pav bhaji is one of them.This recipe is adapted from sanjeev kapoor’s Cook book ‘Ode to Indian Food’. I prepared it several times and came out well every time since the recipe is simple to follow. This is the best pav bhaji recipe that I have ever tried and loved. I have made simple variations like skipping tomato puree and did not mash the vegetables. you could adjust the amount of veggies to suit your taste and liking.
There are many paav bhaji masala powders available in the market which can be used instantly. Each one differs in the flavor and taste ,but the basic ingredients almost remain the same, and only the quantity of ingredients change. So you can chose the one you like. Iam a fan of homemade masala powders so I make my own at home. If you are interested can follow my recipe for paav bhaji masala powder here
step by step photos on how to make pav bhaji recipe at home
1. Heat butter/oil in a pan, add onions and fry till they turn translucent, add ginger garlic paste and fry for 2 to 3 min
2. Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric and salt, fry till tomatoes turn mushy, soft and pulpy
3. Add cauliflower, potatoes, bell pepper and green peas, fry for 2 to 3 minutes. You can even use boiled vegetables.
4. Add chili pow,salt and paav bhaji masala powder. mix well and fry for 2 minutes.
5. Pour 1 cup of water (adjust as needed).Take care not to add too much water.Cook till all the vegetables are soft cooked.
6. Add coriander leaves mix well and mash the bhaji, if you desire a smooth bhaji.We prefer not to mash.
7. Cook till it comes to a thick gravy consistency.
8. Slit the pav horizontally leaving one edge intact
9. Heat butter on a tava. Open the pav and toast it for a while. Can sprinkle masala on the innerside of the pav to make it more spicy.Serve it.
find complete pav bhaji recipe below
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 ½ cups chopped cauliflower(refer notes)
- 2 boiled potatoes mashed
- ¾ cup capsicum chopped small
- ¼ cup green peas(refer notes)
- 1 green chili
- ½ tsp red chili pow
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 ½ tbsp. paav bhaji masala powder
- 1 ½tsp ginger garlic paste
- 3 medium tomatoes chopped small
- 4 tbsp tomato sauce ( optional, i did not use)
- Lemon juice (optional)
- Chopped onions for garnish (optional)
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- 1 tbsp butter/ oil for bhaji
- Additional butter for pav
- Pav (buns) 6 to 8
- Add butter or oil to a pan and heat up. Add onions and fry till they turn translucent, add ginger garlic paste and fry till it gets fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, turmeric and sprinkle salt, fry till tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- Add capsicum, cauliflower, potatoes and green peas, fry for a min or 2.
- Add chili pow,salt and masala powder. mix and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Pour water just enough to cover the vegetables.Cook till the vegetables are soft cooked.
- Add coriander leaves mix well and mash the curry, if you desire a smooth bhaji.
- Cook till the bhaji becomes thick.
- Slit the pav buns horizontally leaving one edge intact
- Heat butter on a pan. Open the buns and toast it for a min or two. If you like to make it more spicy, sprinkle some paav bhaji masala powder on the innerside
- Garnish with onions, butter and serve hot or warm
If you like to have a smooth bhaji, mash the bhaji while it cooks with a masher
for more street foods, check
paneer masala pav