Pav Bhaji Recipe from sanjeev kapoor’s Cook book ‘Ode to Indian Food’. I prepared it several times and came out well every time since the recipe is simple to follow. This is the best Pav Bhaji recipe that I have ever tasted. I have made simple variations like i skipped using the tomato puree and i do not mash my vegetables. I reduced potatoes and increased cauliflower. you could adjust the amount of veggies to suit your taste and liking.
There are many pav bhaji masala powders available in the market which can be used instantly. Each one differs in the flavor and taste ,but the basic ingredients almost remain the same, and only the quantity of ingredients change. So you can chose the one you like. Iam a fan of homemade masala powders so I make my own at home. If you are interested can follow my recipe for Homemade Pav bhaji Masala Powder here
step by step pictures on pav bhaji recipe
1. Heat butter/oil in a pan, add onions and fry till they turn translucent, add ginger garlic paste and fry for 2 to 3 min
2. Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric and salt, fry till tomatoes turn mushy, soft and pulpy
3. Add cauliflower, potatoes, bell pepper and green peas, fry for 2 to 3 minutes
4. Add chili pow,salt and pav bhaji masala powder. mix well and fry for 2 minutes
5. Pour 1 cup of water (adjust as needed).Take care not to add too much water
6. Add coriander leaves mix well and mash the bhaji, if you desire a smooth bhaji.We prefer not to mash.
7. Cook till it comes to a thick gravy consistency.
8. Slit the pav horizontally leaving one edge intact
9. Heat butter on a tava. Open the pav and toast it for a while. Can sprinkle masala on the innerside of the pav to make it more spicy.
pav bhaji recipe below
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 ½ cups chopped cauliflower
- 2 boiled potatoes mashed
- ¾ cup capsicum chopped small
- ¼ cup green peas
- 1 green chili
- ½ tsp red chili pow
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 ½ tbsp. pav bhaji masala powder
- 1 ½tsp ginger garlic paste
- 3 medium tomatoes chopped small
- 4 tbsp tomato sauce ( optional, i did not use)
- Lemon juice (optional)
- Chopped onions for garnish (optional)
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- 1 tbsp butter/ oil for bhaji
- Additional butter for pav
- Pav (buns) 6 to 8
- Add butter or oil to a pan and heat up. Add onions and fry till they turn translucent, add ginger garlic paste and fry till it gets fragrant
- Add tomatoes, turmeric and sprinkle salt, fry till tomatoes turn soft and mushy
- Add capsicum, cauliflower, potatoes and green peas, fry for a min or 2
- Add chili pow,salt and pav bhaji masala powder. mix and fry for another 2 minutes
- Pour water just enough to cover the vegetables.
- Add coriander leaves mix well and mash the curry, if you desire a smooth bhaji.
- Cook till the gravy becomes thick
- Slit the pav buns horizontally leaving one edge intact
- Heat butter on a pan. Open the buns and toast it for a min or two. If you like to make it more spicy, sprinkle some pav bhaji masala powder on the innerside
- Garnish with onions and serve hot or warm