Pav bhaji recipe – pav is an Indian bread and bhaji is mashed vegetables cooked with spice powder. Learn how to make pav bhaji recipe with step by step photos.Mumbai street foods are popular across India, pav bhaji is one of them. This recipe is adapted from chef sanjeev kapoor’s Cook book ‘Ode to Indian Food’.
I prepared it several times and came out well every time since the recipe is simple to follow. This is the best pav bhaji recipe that I have ever tried and loved. You can adjust the amount of veggies to suit your taste and liking.
There are many paav bhaji masala powders available in the market which can be used instantly. Each one differs in the flavor and taste ,but the basic ingredients almost remain the same, and only the quantity of ingredients change. So you can chose the one you like. I like my homemade masala powders so I make my own at home.
step by step photos on how to make pav bhaji recipe at home
1. Pressure cook potatoes, cauliflower, and peas for 1 to 2 whistles on a medium flame. You can also use carrots if you like. When the pressure goes off , open the lid. Veggies should be soft cooked.
2. Heat butter or oil in a pan, add onions.
3. Fry till they turn translucent, add ginger garlic paste and fry until it smells good. Take care not to burn.
4. Add bell pepper. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add chopped tomatoes, fry till tomatoes turn mushy, soft and pulpy.
6. Add chili powder, turmeric, salt and paav bhaji masala powder. I added turmeric and chili powder after i took the picture.
7. Mix well and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Add the boiled veggies and mash.
9. Add water as needed and stir. Add kasuri methi. This adds good flavor.
10. Allow it to simmer for a while to bring out the flavor of masala. When it reaches the desired consistency, add chopped coriander leaves. switch off.
11. Slit the pav horizontally leaving one edge intact. Heat butter on a tava. Open the pav and toast it for a while. Can sprinkle masala on the innerside of the pav to make it more spicy.
Garnish with coriander leaves, lemon wedges and chopped onions. Top with butter on hot bhaji. Serve pav with bhaji.
Find complete pav bhaji recipe below
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower(refer notes)
- 2 medium or 4 small potatoes
- ½ cup capsicum chopped
- ½ to ¾ cup green peas (adjust to suit your taste)
- 1 tbsp butter or oil (2 tbsp. suggested)
- 2 medium onions (3/4 cup finely chopped )
- 1 green chili optional
- ½ tsp red chili pow
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¾ to 1 tbsp. paav bhaji masala powder
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 large tomato or 2 medium
- ¼ tsp kasuri methi / dried fenu greek leaves
- Additional butter for pav
- Pav (buns) 4 to 6
- Lemon wedges
- Chopped onions
- Coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp butter
- Boil or pressure cook cauliflower, potatoes and peas until cooked fully.
- Add butter or oil to a pan and heat up. Add onions and fry till they turn translucent, add ginger garlic paste and fry till it gets fragrant. Fry capsicums for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, fry till tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- Add chili pow,salt and masala powder. mix and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add boiled veggies, mash well.
- Pour water just enough to bring to a consistency. Add kasuri methi and cook until it reaches a desired consistency.
- Slit the pav buns horizontally leaving one edge intact.
- Heat butter on a pan. Open the buns and toast it for a min or two. If you like to make it more spicy, sprinkle some paav bhaji masala powder on the inner side
- Garnish with onions, butter and serve hot or warm
for more street foods, check
paneer masala pav