Pav Bhaji Recipe from sanjeev kapoor’s Cook book ‘Ode to Indian Food’. I prepared it several times and came out well every time since the recipe is simple to follow. This is the best Pav Bhaji recipe that I have ever tasted. I have made simple variations like i skipped using the tomato puree and i do not mash my vegetables. I reduced potatoes and increased cauliflower. you could adjust the amount of veggies to suit your taste and liking.
There are many pav bhaji masala powders available in the market which can be used instantly. Each one differs in the flavor and taste ,but the basic ingredients almost remain the same, and only the quantity of ingredients change. So you can chose the one you like. Iam a fan of homemade masala powders so I make my own at home. If you are interested can follow my recipe for Homemade Pav bhaji Masala Powder here
step by step pictures on pav bhaji recipe
1. Heat butter/oil in a pan, add onions and fry till they turn translucent, add ginger garlic paste and fry for 2 to 3 min
2. Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric and salt, fry till tomatoes turn mushy, soft and pulpy
3. Add cauliflower, potatoes, bell pepper and green peas, fry for 2 to 3 minutes
4. Add chili pow,salt and pav bhaji masala powder. mix well and fry for 2 minutes
5. Pour 1 cup of water (adjust as needed).Take care not to add too much water
6. Add coriander leaves mix well and mash the bhaji, if you desire a smooth bhaji.We prefer not to mash.
7. Cook till it comes to a thick gravy consistency.
8. Slit the pav horizontally leaving one edge intact
9. Heat butter on a tava. Open the pav and toast it for a while. Can sprinkle masala on the innerside of the pav to make it more spicy.
This post has been updated with new images.
pav bhaji recipe below