Peda recipe or doodh peda recipe with step by step pictures – milk peda is one of the traditional Indian sweets that is prepared during festive occasions or celebrations. It is made using sugar and khoa / khoya or mawa, that’s made by condensing milk for a long time.
The milk peda recipe shared here is a quick version using condensed milk and khoya without milk powder. In the past I made doodh peda with condensed milk and milk powder several times and ended up with an overly sweetened peda.
This milk peda recipe was born out of few trials to bring down the sweetness to the right level. These taste great since they are made of only milk and milk solids alone and no milk powder is used.
If you have access to khoya, do try this delicious doodh peda for Diwali, certainly they make a great diwali treat. With the same mixture, you can even make chocolate peda and treat your kids , just add cocoa when the mixture is done and knead it well.
This recipe can also be tweaked and you can avoid using condensed milk and use sugar alone. But I felt condensed milk lends a great flavor and texture to the peda.
If you are looking for more sweets, you can check this diwali collection. For low calorie sweets, check out sweets recipes with no ghee and no milk.
Doodh peda recipe
- ½ tin condensed milk(½ of 392 grams tin)
- 1 ½ cups crumbled khoya/ mawa (refer notes)
- Fat pinch of cardamom powder
- Few strands of Saffron soaked in milk optional
- 1 tsp. ghee or coconut oil
- Few pistachios chopped for garnish
- Bring khoya to room temperature. Crumble and then measure
- Add condensed milk, cardamom powder and khoya to a non-stick pan. If using saffron milk , add it now
- Mix and begin to cook on a medium flame.
- Let it cook till the mixture thickens and becomes a mass. Overcooking could make it dry. Switch off and cool.
- The mixture looks smooth on its own, so don’t have to knead
- Grease your palms and make balls and flatten them
- Tuck the pistachios in the center
- For making the chocolate peda, add 1 to 1 ½ tsps. Cocoa to the cooked mixture and knead well until blended.
- Make peda.
- Refrigerate and use.
For those who wish to use the full 392 grams tin, use 3 cups crumbled khoya. one cup equals 240 ml
How to make doodh peda recipe with step by step pictures
1. Defrost khoya either in microwave or refrigerator or leave it at room temperature for about 30 minutes, if you are using frozen khoya. Do not begin to heat up very cold one , sometimes this lends a bitter taste. soak saffron in 2 tbsps. hot milk. I did not use it.
2. Crumble khoya and add it to a pan along with condensed milk, cardamom and or saffron milk if using.Begin to cook on a medium flame
3. constantly stirring, cook the mixture. It melts.
4. Cook till the mixture thickens, while stirring constantly and becomes a mass. off the heat.
5. when cooled the mixture looks smooth and slightly darker in color. It thickens as well.
6. Grease your palms, take small portions and make balls, slightly flatten and dent in the center. Tuck the chopped pistachios.I had set aside a part of this mixture and added cocoa. Kneaded well and made some chocolate pedas.
Refrigerate and use