chicken kali mirch also called as murgh kali mirch is something I happened to try after a hyderabadi friend shared the recipe with me few years ago.Peppered chicken along with onions is roasted and caramelized to enhance the flavour. The entire dish looks caramelized and tastes delectable.
chicken kali mirch gets a melt in the mouth texture since curd/yogurt makes the chicken tender and also adds great taste.This goes well with rice or roti and the recipe can be used to prepare a gravy or dry version of chicken kali mirch.
chicken kali mirch recipe with step by step pictures
1. Marinate chicken with yogurt, salt, turmeric and pepper powder. Set this aside for 45 minutes to 1 hour or at least for 20 mins. In hot climates 30 to 40 minutes would be enough otherwise the yogurt may turn sour. Do not use sour yogurt as well. Add dry spices to hot oil and let them sizzle. Add mint and fry. Add onions,salt and fry till golden. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell vanishes.
2. Add the marinated chicken.
3. Cover and cook on a low flame for 5 minutes.
4. Chicken oozes out moisture. cook till the chicken turns tender. You can insert a little knife or fork to check if it is done.
5. Add garam masala, 1/2 tsp. pepper powder.Cook till it reaches a desired consistency if you wish to enjoy a chicken kali mirch gravy. If you like a dry chicken, then continue to fry till all the moisture evaporates and masala clings on to the chicken and caramelizes.
find chicken kali mirch recipe below
- 500 grams chicken
- ⅓ cup or 80 ml yogurt
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ¾ tsp crushed pepper or powder
- 1 cup onions chopped finely
- Fistful of mint leaves / pudina chopped
- ¾ to 1 tsp Garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Few tbsp. Oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cardamoms
- 6 cloves
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- Marinate the chicken with yogurt, salt, turmeric and ¼ tsp. pepper powder, set aside for about 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the dry spices and fry till they sizzle.
- Add mint leaves, fry till they turn crisp.
- Add onions and salt and fry them till they turn golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears.
- Add the marinated chicken, mix well. Cover and cook till the chicken releases moisture, this takes around 5 mins.
- Continue to cook on a medium flame, keep stirring for even cooking.
- When the chicken is fully cooked, add garam masala and rest of the pepper powder. Switch off now when it reaches a thick consistency like gravy.
- If you want to have a dry chicken, fry on high flame constantly flipping the chicken pieces for even caramelisation. This takes around 5 mins. Take care not to burn
- Serve hot with rice, roti or pulav or biryani.
for more dry chicken recipes, check
for gravy chicken recipes, check
butter chicken recipe
chicken butter masala
chicken tikka masala