Ven pongal recipe with video & step by step photos – Also know as khara pongal is one of the popular South Indian foods that is offered to the GODS as naivedyam during festivals, auspicious days and even offered in temples. Ven pongal is one of the most commonly and important naivedyam foods that is offered to Godess Durga and Lakshmi during navratri and Varalakshmi puja.
Ven pongal is a comfort food and light on the stomach and can also be prepared quickly for a lunch or dinner any time. It is protein packed and delicious with a good aroma of ghee and seasoned ingredients. It takes less than 30 minutes to make along with a chutney. It tastes best when served hot or warm.
This ven pongal recipe can be used to make a millet or oats or quinoa pongal, just replace rice with millet or quinoa.
The khara pongal recipe shared here is a traditional one, the way we make at home mostly to offer as naivedyam using cow’s ghee and a dash of turmeric for tempering. Cow’s ghee and turmeric are a must in most homes for savory naivedyams. You can also find a sweet version of pongali called as sakkarai pongal here.
Video of ven pongal recipe
Khara or ven pongal recipe below
- ½ cup rice
- ½ cup moong dal / pesara pappu (you can reduce by one tbsp.)
- Cashews as needed (optional)
- 1 inch ginger, grated or paste or sliced or chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ tsp. cumin / jeera
- Pinch of hing
- ½ tsp. pepper corn
- 1 tbsp. ghee (you can add more)
- Turmeric as needed
- Dry roast dal till they begin to smell nice. This step is optional
- Wash and cook dal and rice with 1 ¾ to 2 cups water and salt till soft. You can cook in pressure cooker or directly in a pot. Adjust the water as needed.
- If you desire, you can mash up a bit to get creamy consistency. Let the water evaporate and the rice reach a mushy and creamy stage. It should not be very runny or dry. Add salt and stir.
- Heat a pan with ghee, add cashews and fry till golden, set aside, add ginger and fry till it turns aromatic, add cumin & pepper corn ,allow them to splutter, add turmeric and hing
- Add this to the pongali, mix and simmer for a minutes. Off the stove.
- Serve ven pongal with chutney or sambar.
How to make ven pongal recipe
1. Heat a pressure cooker or pot and dry roast dal till aromatic.
2. Add rice to the pot. Wash them. If you are on a health spree, you may substitute half of the rice with brown rice. But will need to soak for at least 45 minutes.
3. Add 1 3/4 to 2 cups water and cook till soft. You can cook in a cooker or pot.
4. If cooking in a pressure cooker, cook on a low flame for 1 to 2 whistles . When the pressure goes off open the lid, add salt and stir. Rice and dal should be cooked well.
5. Heat a pan with ghee and fry nuts till golden. set this aside.
6. In the same pan, saute ghee until it turns aromatic. Then add cumin and pepper corn or crushed. Saute until cumin sizzles. Add curry leaves, turmeric and a pinch of hing. When the leaves turn crisp, switch off. If not making for naivedyam, you can also use a slit green chili to add heat.
7. Add it to the cooked rice and dal and simmer for a minute or two.
Serve khara pongal with chutney.