Potato curry or aloo curry recipe with step by step photos. This is one of the most basic Indian potato recipes that even a newbie can try. This aloo curry goes very well with chapathi, rice, pulao or dosa. This easy delicious curried potato recipe is the one I often follow and is had with rice or chapathi or dosa as well. This can be made even in a pressure cooker to fasten cooking the potatoes. The same recipe can be used to make a dry potato curry or a potato gravy curry.
You may like these 7 other potato curry recipes
potato curry for masala dosa
drumstick potato curry
aloo egg curry
Potato curry or aloo curry recipe below
- 1 cup potatoes cubed
- ¾ cup chopped onions
- 1 medium sized ripe tomato or ½ cup chopped or pureed
- 1 green chili (optional)
- ½ tsp Kashmiri red chili powder (adjust)
- ½ to ¾ tsp coriander powder or ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves or dried methi leaves)
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsps. Oil
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera
- ½ tsp ginger garlic paste (optional)
- Pinch hing
- salt as needed
- coriander leaves for garnish
- If you desire to boil potato first you can cook it al dente. Peel & chop to cubes. You can also cook potato directly in the curry.
- Add oil to a pan and heat it. Add cumin and fry until the seeds begin to crackle.
- Sprinkle hing and then add onions & chilli. Sprinkle salt. Fry until they turn golden. Saute ginger garlic paste for 2 mins.
- Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric and salt.Fry until they turn pulpy, soft and mushy.
- Sprinkle red chili powder, if needed. Stir everything well and fry just for a minute or two.
- Add potatoes and saute then for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add water just as needed. Cook covered until the potatoes are fully cooked. Sprinkle kasuri methi and then the coriander powder.
- Stir well. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve potato curry with rice or roti.
How to make potato curry with step by step photos
1. To make this curry, you can use boiled potato or directly use raw potato. Some kinds of potatoes really don’t get cooked fast in curry, so you may consider boiling the potatoes al dente and then cut to small cubes. Then add in the curry. But i prefer to cook directly in the curry. It takes about 25 mins to cook potatoes once it is added to the gravy..
2. Heat oil in a pan and allow cumin to crackle. Add hing.
3. Add onions and fry until golden.
4. Add ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell goes away.
5. Add finely chopped tomatoes or pureed tomatoes. Sprinkle salt and turmeric. Saute until the tomatoes turn mushy. If needed cover and cook for a while.
6. Add coriander powder, garam masala and red chili powder.
7. Mix and fry everything until the raw smells goes away and oil begins to separate.
8. Add potatoes.
9. Saute for 2 to 3 mins.
10. Add water just enough to make a gravy. If using boiled potatoes, then you can use the water (stock) in which you boiled them.
11. Cover and cook until done fully. If using boiled potato , cooking just for 2 to 3 mins is enough.
12. Add kasuri methi or coriander leaves.