Potato sandwich recipe or aloo sandwich is one of the most delicious and easy Indian sandwich recipes that can be made without much effort. It can be made for kids’ breakfast or after school snack too. Most kids love sandwiches and so do mine.
For more easy sandwich recipes, you can check these
Aloo grilled sandwich
Different methods of making potato sandwich
Method 1. Can use masala dosa potato curry for making sandwich.
Method 2. Just use some boiled potatoes, mash them, add chili powder, garam masala, salt and chopped coriander leaves. Mix all well. Smear it over the bread slices and toast on a tawa or a toaster until crispy.
Method 3. Follow the recipe below
To make potato sandwich, I did not use boiled potatoes, I directly cooked them in the pan, but you can use boiled potatoes too, whichever is convenient. You can add or skip some ingredients mentioned in the recipe, all that to suit your taste. I have used whole meal sprouted flour bread, you can use any bread.
If you don’t have a sandwich toaster, you can make this toast on a tawa. You can make a open sandwich too.
How to make potato sandwich recipe with step by step pictures
1. Add oil to a pan and heat, add cumin and let it splutter,add ginger paste or grated ginger and fry till you smell good. Add sliced onions and green chilies, fry till they turn lightly golden, while the onions fry , peel and mince raw potato or mash boiled potato, whichever you prefer.
2. Add minced raw potato or mashed boiled potato. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Skip this step if using boiled potatoes. If using raw mined potatoes, add water just enough to cover the potatoes.Cover and cook till the potatoes are soft cooked and tender. Since they are mined they cook faster.
4. Add turmeric,fennel powder,pepper powder(optional), amchur, garam masala and red chili powder. I added chili powder later, since i forgot.
5. Fry everything well till you get a nice aroma of the masala and the fennel seeds powder. Everything should blend well, potatoes soft cooked and fairly dry.
6. Smear butter or oil on one side of the bread for crust. on the inner side, spread the curry in a thin layer, sprinkle some coriander leaves if you like.
7. If you do not have a toaster, you can toast in on a tawa on both the sides. Gently flip the bread else the curry will mess up. If making in toaster. Cover with another slice and toast following the manufacturers guidelines.
Detailed potato sandwich recipe below
- 1 large potato minced or boiled and mashed
- 1 large onion sliced thinly
- ¼ tsp. cumin /jeera
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1 tsp grated ginger or ginger garlic paste
- ¼ tsp. red chili powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- ⅛ tsp. fennel powder / saunf powder (optional)
- Pinch of amchur (optional)
- Salt as needed
- Oil as needed
- Mint or coriander leaves
- 8 slices of bread
- Butter or oil as needed for toasting
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin, and allow it to sizzle, add ginger and fry till the raw smell disappears. Add onions, green chilies and fry till golden
- Add boiled and mashed potatoes or minced. Fry for 2 to three minutes. If using raw aloo, add water just enough to cook potatoes
- When the moisture evaporates, add garam masala, red chili powder, fennel powder and amchur powder. Mix everything well, mash with the back of a ladle or masher. Cook till the mixture binds well.
- Trim the edges of the bread, butter or oil the outer sides of the bread, spread the curry on the bread and place another slice on the top
- Toast it till golden
- If you do not have a toaster, you can smear the curry on one side and toast it well on both the sides till crunchy.
- Serve potato sandwich hot.