pumpkin halwa or kaddu ka halwa is usually prepared during festivals or the season when pumpkins are flooded in the market. Pumpkins are high in nutrients like vitamin A, beta carotene and vitamin C. Hence are good for eyes, immunity and the overall functioning of the body.
pumpkin halwa or kaddu ka halwa is simple to make with very few ingredients and gets done under 20 minutes. I have mentioned 2 options to use pumpkin: grated or pressure cooked. Halwa made using grated pumpkin retains most nutrients as it is lightly cooked and only for a while. However it is a matter of convenience, if you find it hard to grate, go for the other option mentioned in the step by steps.
pumpkin halwa tastes light, delicious and serves as a good after meal dessert or an evening snack. I have used a pumpkin that is of the variety you see in the picture below. Sometimes I also use khoya/mawa to make this pumpkin halwa or kaddu ka halwa. It tastes great and rich, a special sweet that can be made during festivals.You can also make a kasi halwa using this recipe. Kasi halwa is made using white pumpkin and no milk is used.
how to make pumpkin halwa or kaddu ka halwa with step by step photos
1. There are 2 options to use pumpkin, choose one of them. Wash pumpkin, cut to half.
a. Pressure cook halved pumpkin without peeling for one whistle by placing in a bowl inside the cooker. Once the pressure cools down, scoop off the pumpkin flesh and discard the skin. Or
b. Peel the pumpkin and then grate it. A food processor does the job easily.
2. Heat a pan with ghee (or coconut oil), add chopped cashews and fry till lightly golden. Set aside.
3. Add the pumpkin in any form grated or cooked and scooped. I have used grated pumpkin. Fry the pumpkin for 4 to 5 minutes in ghee. The raw smell should go away.
4. If you do not want to use milk, just skip this step. Pour the milk and cardamom powder. Allow it to absorb the milk. Do not use water, it will dilute the taste of the halwa. If you do not want to use milk just skip it.
5. Add sugar and stir. Moisture begins to release.
6. Keep stirring till the halwa thickens.
Garnish with fried cashews.
find pumpkin halwa recipe or kaddu ka halwa recipe by Swasthi below
- 2 cups pumpkin grated or ½ kg
- ¼ cup + 1 to 2 tbsp. sugar (adjust slightly)
- Few cashews or pistachios chopped
- 1 to 2 tbsp. ghee
- generous pinch cardamom powder
- Few tbsp. milk (optional)
- Add ghee or coconut oil to a hot pan and fry the nuts till golden. Keep them side.
- To the same pan, add grated pumpkin or cooked pumpkin (refer image step by step one). Fry for about 4 to 5 minutes till the raw smell goes off.
- Pour the milk if using and add cardamom powder. Cook until the milk is absorbed.
- Add sugar and cook till the sugar melts and the halwa thickens.
- Add fried cashews and garnish.
find more halwa recipes on this blog
moong dal halwa
dry fruits halwa
gajar ka halwa