Punjabi egg curry recipe with step by step photos. Made in dhaba style, it is exceptionally good when you are not in a mood to cook something elaborate but wish to make quick delicious food. It can be served with roti, plain paratha or flavored rice like jeera rice, biryani rice, pulao, coconut rice, coconut milk rice or any biryani varieties.
I am back after a 5 weeks trip to India, got to shoot some pics from my mum’s kitchen which i will be sharing in the next few posts.
To make this egg gravy, i have made onion paste, tomato paste & ginger garlic paste separately since i found the taste to be much good than when all these are ground together and used. But If you are short of time, you may also make it with all onion, tomato, ginger garlic ground together.
How to make punjabi egg curry with step by step photos
1. Make a fine paste of onions in a blender. Some onions lend a bitter taste when made to a paste. If you are one who is experiencing that, then you can boil the onions in water for 3 mins. Cool and then make a paste. But I used raw onions.
2. Set this aside in a bowl.
3. Blend tomatoes in the same jar.
4. Set this aside as well.
5. Prick the boiled eggs with fork. Heat oil in a pan, and fry them until golden.
6. Saute bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. You can use the same pan used to fry eggs.
7. Add the onion paste. Saute until the raw smell goes off and the paste turns golden.
8. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes away.
9. Add tomato puree and saute until the raw smell goes away.
10. Add red chili powder, turmeric, garam masala and salt.
11. Fry the masala until it begins to smell good and oil begins to separate. Takes about 2 to 4 mins. I haven’t used much oil here so oil is not visible. But dhaba style anda curry is made with more oil.
12. Pour water good enough to make a gravy. Boil the gravy until it thickens and oil begins to separate. Taste the gravy and check the salt. If needed add more.
13. Add the fried eggs and cover. If using kasuri methi add it now. Stir well. Cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 mins.
Add coriander leaves.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with
Mint/ pudina rice
or roti along with onion and lemon wedges.
Punjabi egg curry or anda curry in dhaba style
- 4 to 5 boiled eggs
- 1 ½ cups cubed onions
- 1 cup tomatoes
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- 1 to 1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 to 1 ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala (adjust as needed)
- Salt as needed
- 1 to 1 ¼ cup water (adjust slightly as needed)
- ¼ tsp Kasuri methi (optional)
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves chopped finely
- Puree onions and tomatoes separately. Set them aside.
- Boil the eggs, remove the shells and prick them with fork randomly.
- Saute eggs in oil until golden. Set aside.
- In the same pan, saute cinnamon, bay leaf, cardamoms and cloves.
- Saute the onion paste until golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell goes off.
- Add tomato puree and saute until the sauce thickens.
- Add red chili powder, garam masala and salt. Fry all until nice aroma comes out. By now the raw smell should have gone away.
- Add water as needed to make a gravy. Cook until the gravy thickens and oil begins to separate. Check the salt and adjust if needed.
- Add the boiled eggs, kasuri methi if using and cook covered for 2 to 3 mins.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves.