Ragi semiya has been used in some parts of Karnataka for several years. But it has been popular in the recent years since it has become a commercial product. During my childhood days, I had seen many of my friend’s moms doing these ragi semiya in their backyards and dry them in the hot sun. My mom never made these since she was not a ragi fanatic. Ragi semiya can be used to make a semiya upma or a vegetable semiya biryani or even a pulao.
This recipe is suitable to cook any brand of ragi semiya (even if it is homemade and sun dried). I never follow the instructions given on the packets. I love to do it my way, since it does not turn the semiya mushy.
ragi semiya vegetable pulao recipe below
- 150 gms Ragi semiya
- 2 green chilies slit
- 1 medium tomato or lemon juice
- Fistful of green peas
- ½ Carrot chopped very small
- 1 chopped onion or few spring onions
- 3 tsps. Oil
- 1 bay leaf or curry leaves
- ½ tsp shahi jeera
- 3 cloves
- 2 thin 1 inch cinnamon sticks
- 1 cardamom
- Few pepper corn (optional)
- ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- Keep all the veggies and spices ready. Set aside.
- Stir in 1 tsp of oil to 5 glasses of water at room temperature.
- Pour ragi semiya, gently stir the semiya twice with your hand. Do not squeeze or break them. After 30 secs to 1 min drain the water away.
- Spread the semiya on a colander.
- Heat oil in a deep non-stick pan, add all the spices and fry till you get a good aroma, and add ginger garlic paste. Sauté till the raw smell goes off.
- Add onions, peas & carrot. Fry for a min, add tomatoes, turmeric and salt. Fry till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Check your semiya now; they would be moist but not wet. They absorb the water and become soft yet they look non sticky.
- Add the semiya and salt to the pan. Mix well. Cover & cook it on a low flame till the semiya is fully cooked. Occasionally keep mixing. This takes around 7 to 8 mins. If you are new to this recipe try tasting the semiya every 2mins, to know the right cooked texture. Initially you will feel raw and floury; next- cooked but still raw smelling. Finally you will know the cooked texture when it is fully done. If you overcook the semiya, nothing happens expect they turn crunchy.
- Serve warm with fresh yogurt or yogurt cream.
for more ragi semiya recipes, check
ragi semiya payasam
ragi semiya curd bath